FIrst timers - Brain Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnnlaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank for about two years. :D I just recently put in a mushroom and it has been doing well. :lol: It is about three weeks - month old. Looks good. Yesterday I put in a Brain Coral and it has not come out at all. :cry: I am wondering if this is usual. How long does it take for them to start making appearances? Is this normal?

THanks all.

Do you have them on the substrate. They do not do very good on the LR. Causes their flesh to recede. Here is mine and their place ment. As Ziggy asked what type did you get?

Attachments

• 100_0174_176.jpg
    100_0174_176.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0169_174.jpg
    100_0169_174.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 21
I owe you gentlemen an apology. I put Brain Coral and in reality it is a Starpolyp. I have had it for 3 days and no opening yet. I have a 65 gallon and it has a 350 mag canister with 2 Maxijet 1200 going.

I have corallight the two bulb lights with the flourescent lighting and the constant. It has the fan on it and runs about 8 - 9 hours a day. Seems to have been doing well in the past and the fish are fine. Fish have been there for over a year.

Is it usual for the thing to stay in all day and not come out at all?

I have two black and white striped damsels. I have a clown and the blue one with a yellow tale (sorry, don't remember the name).

I have about 100 lbs of live rock. All looks good. I have about 3 inches maybe 4 of LS subtrate.

THanks for your responses. I want to do this right.

PS. LFS told me to put some purple up in there as I have not added any minerals, etc. to the tank ever. I just use the lighting and then feed about every 2 -3 days just enough for the fish to finish in about 2 - 3 minutes. Everything tests fine though.

mnnlaw said:
blue one with a yellow tale
Sounds like a yellow tail damsel.
I can't help with the coral, but how often do you do a PWC? If you do regular PWCs, you should not have to dose with anything (personally, I try not to dose anything in my tanks).

I agree that PWc`s will dose all your trace elements with the possible exception of calcium for some salt mixes. Mine keeps mine at 420-450 so I dont dose anything. GSP have been known to take awhile before they come out. Mine took a week.

I want to do this right.
Knowing some exact numbers will help us point out any possible issues. How many watts is your lighting? What are your temp., PH, nitrate, Ca, and Alk levels? Have you been donig PWC's(how much, how often)?

You mean I posted my brain corals for nothing. LOL. Thanks for clearing that up. Have a great day.

Not for nothing , I was looking at one last week , and after seeing yours I may bgo back to get it .

2 10,000 W corallights with 2 floures. ones as well. Water changes are about 25% every 2 - 3 weeks. Adding water in the mean time when it evaporates.

All numbers are right on. salinity, ph, etc.

i will wait a few more days and see what the deal is.

Do you think I should stop adding the Purple up then?

2 10,000 W corallights with 2 floures
How many watts is each lamp? I'm guessing it's a PC fixture.? Star polyps are tolerant of a wide variety of lighting. Having at least 3 WPG would be best.
All numbers are right on. salinity, ph, etc.
Alright, I'll take your word. Numbers would be more informative though.
Do you think I should stop adding the Purple up then?
It's not something I would use. PWC's and good Ca/Alk will do wonders.

I went out to look at the lights. It has two light rows with two lights in each row. Two of the lights are the flourescents that come on one hour before the heavy regular lights. I bought it about 1 1/2 years ago for about $375.

When I read the ends of the Coralife bulb holders each row reads 10,000 K 96 watts

Hope that helps and thanks for your answers all.

I have the water temp set at 81 and it has never really waivered more then about 1 - 2 degrees.

Just did a water change 4 hours ago. I did a test on everything and for the first time I have elevated No3 Nitrates. It is at 10.

Ammonia is at 0
Nitrates NO2 is 0
PH is at 8.2

how do I decrease the NItrates before the Brain Dies??????

Thanks all

Nitrates at 10 isn't that bad....and that number isn't going to kill your corals. My nitrate is usually between 5 and 10 not great but that's what it is. What kind of filtration do yo uhave on this tank? How much LR is in it? Are we still talking about the brain coral that is really Star polyps? I think that a 2 year old tank would have had nitrate readings before now. Doing PWCs is a way to reduce your nitrates but finding the source is a better idea. How much and how often do you feed? Do you have sponges in your filters?

I have a 350 mag that runs Carb. I also have a 1200 ph on one side. Live Rock, I would say about 95 pounds. I have about 24 hermit crab and snail mix. I have one clown, 2 striped damsels and one Dora fish.

Temp was a little high for the last few days at 84 degree. Down now at 79.

I have two double lights. Each light has both the blue light and the flourescent lights. They are each 10,000 K and 96 W.

Thanks again for the help.

PS. Star Polyp still has not opened. Now my mushroom has not opened in a few days either.

If they are a year old you need to replace those lights. I take it they are power compacts.

Back
Top Bottom