Fish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylreveb20

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need a fish that will eat stuff off the drift wood? it can't be no bigger then 5' full grown. Thank you

In what sense? I have them in a tank with tetras loaches and rams. Few shrimp. Water is 78-79F. PH 6.8. They are doing fine. I don't think they are a hard fish to keep.

I have a small school of oto cats, and they're a pretty easy fish to take care of. I find the hardest part is trying to count them to make sure they are al still alive, mostly because they are more active at night and hide during the day.
I also have a rubber lip pleco, which only get up to 5 or 6 inches, and they love algae off of driftwood. He does a better job taking care of algae alone than my group of oto cats.

Key word with Otos, "school." You can't just get one. We also need to know the tank size, because Otos may not even work for your tank.

And mine is 37 tall with 18 neon and a BN pleco. ( sorry to easedrop)

Looks like you might have some BBA growing, which many fish won't touch. Just get a toothbrush, and brush it off right before a water change.

Do I need better water circulation? How do I fix it?

Well BBA is the toughest algae to get rid of. And almost nothing eats it. Nerite snails can eat it, but not always. Try using Excel. Or try boiling your driftwood again. Most likely though, if it is on the wood, it is on the plants too.

Algae can grow on driftwood.
A lot of stuff can grow on driftwood, which is why it is important to identify it first and then solve the issue, instead of throwing something at it randomly and hoping it will get fixed.

View attachment 298797 Here's a pic of the stuff on the driftwood. Thanks

Bristlenose will demolish that. Easy.

Any fish that forages the benthic layer will go some way in preventing the growth you see here.
Of course you could scrub it away at regular intervals but, natural methods work best in my experience, and you get to keep an extra fish! Bonus.........

Even a wood eater would prevent the growth by disturbing the surface to get at the preferred diet. My tank with panaques in have no algal growth on the wood.
Corydoras do a similar though slightly less effective job.

Back
Top Bottom