Fish and Personalities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IsabellaG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

My 9 year old recently twisted my arm and we now have two goldfish (comet+Shubunkin). I'm hooked and amazed at how these fish have their own personalities.

We have blue and green smooth plastic pebbles in one corner of the tank (left over from the fish bowl - I know, we won't be going back to that fish shop). Anyway Patches (the Shubunkin) literally dives into them (there pretty light), wriggles underneath and pops his head out - too funny.

Goldie (the Comet) likes to swim straight into the airstream of the filter and then goes for a ride (she must like it because she does it several times a day).

What fish do you reckon have the most personality? Hope to hear some fishy stories. :fish2:

Though I only had him a little while my Siamese Fighter Bruno was a right character, some of the things he liked to do:

swim rubbing against one side of the thermometer and dart straight up the other side of the thermometer in a certain pattern... he used to do it the same way all the time... I take it he liked the feel of it or something.

He used to love having his body against the inlet to the filter don't no why as I think he damaged his tail that way, but he wouldn't like the ember going near there lol, that was his filter inlet.

Feeding times he was just a right pig.

His guts for something so small.. puts your finger in the water and he would go for ya lol

Put the jug in to do water changes he would aim to swim in into it - so curious.

also how he would casually be swimming and then he would think I am going to show them Embers who boss and just swim at the constantly for a minute or two... he wasn't going to kill them he just liked proving who the boss was lol.

I read before hand how people fall in love with Fighters personalities but its true for such a tiny fish they are right characters. Hence why I will be getting another one. Give Fighters a bigger tank with plenty of environmental enrichment and watch them go :)

fish personalities

I used to have a betta that I could feed flake food by hand. Swim right up and take it. But knowing the more expert people they wouldn't be impressed by this but being a newbie I actually LOVED it. :)

Goldies have the most personality, IMO. I stick my hand in the tank and he rubs against it and nibbles on my fingers. If you're anywhere near the tank, he swims at the front trying to get your attention. When I gravel vac, he likes to sit in my hand.

My betta, Bukowski, has such a personality too! I swear he's happiest when I'm in the room. The ladies in my other tank are pretty fierce, but don't have nearly the same love as he does. Female bettas are fun, yet perhaps when I have them for as long as I have my male, then they'll be sweeter.

my cray has lots of personality,she will take food from my hand,and is constantly trying to get out of her tank

Back
Top Bottom