Fish are dieing! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie2576

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this but certain fish keep dieing. I have a 100 gallon tank with 2 emperor 400 filters. I have a 300 watt heater. I have 100 lbs live sand and about 50 lbs of rock.I have a black and white damsel, clown fish(nemo), pajama cardinal, and valentini puffed that are all doing well. I have a foxface with cloudy eyes that is hanging out at the top of the tank. He looks like he is dieing. I have lost a flame angel, Koran angel,bi color angel and a royal gram in the last 2 weeks. I have an api test kit that I use. My salt is at 1.024, ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 20 ppm. My water temp is at 80. The tank is about 8 weeks old. Can someone please help me? This is really frustrating! Thanks in advance.

Just a guess, but I'd say it's a result of the "too much, too fast" syndrome. If I counted right, looks like you've had 9 fish in an 8-week old tank. Even if that 8-weeks does NOT include the time it took to cycle, that's still too many fish too quick. (The tank was cycled... right?)

Even though your ammonia readings are zero now, the deaths could be as a result of ammonia poisoning that happened earlier. Were you taking readings for ammonia all during the last 8 weeks?

I have followed the instructions from the guy at my lfs. As I said before, I am new at this but I added some damsels a week after the tank was up and running so I am not sure. Since my post earlier, I noticed my damsel swimming slowly on the bottom and my calico crab grabbed him and ate him. Now my other fish all look like they aren't doing so well. Yes, i was checking the ammonia all along. What can i do to ostop all the fish from dieing? My lfs seem to be giving me the wrong info.

what type of water did u used..??? tap water..?? u said that u added your ex-damsels (already died) after one week cycle and running...is that mean u have had cycle your water..??btw,u can go to your LFS and test your water for u...

Get onto some regular water changes. Do not add anymore fish for a month or more. Consider getting rid of some. Do some reading and asking here and stop relying on the lfs for input, instruction, or advice.

Also, strongly consider a 30g or so hospital/quarantine tank. Got articles at this site for guidance with that. Sounds like you're gonna need to treat sick fish real soon. Even better, if you ever add any new fish, they should be quarantined for a few weeks since a sick fish added could kill others.

Start adding Garlic Guard and vitamin (like zoe or something) to the food in order to build strength and better inmmunity.

I agree that you've added to many fish entirely too fast. Your trouble is just starting IMO.

Start by doing a 30% partial water change with salt water that has mixed overnight (24 hours is better). Do another 30% PWC two days later (if not the next day). That regimen might stem the deaths while giving your fish what they need (clean living conditions).

It sounds like the lfs sold you the tank, had you fill it and then add the damsels to cycle the tank -- BAD ADVICE.
The lfs then continued to sell you fish, adding to the bioload faster than the bacterial population could grow to accommodate it.
New fish should be added at the rate of 1 - 2 per month.

What test kits are you using to test your water parameters?
Do you have a refractometer for testing SG or are you using a swing arm hydrometer?
If you don't have a refractometer, get one.

Here's my rules for a successfully aquarium:
Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependent)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (approx 30 years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.
Rule # 10. The tank size recommendations for fish are there for a reason - HEED THEM!

I have been asked to add
RULE 0 - Don't believe the LFS!

Well, the foxface died overnight. I have a snail, calico crab, valentini puffer, pajama cardinal and a clown fish (nemo) remaining. To answer some of the above questions, I have been using tapwater. I use a hydrometer with a swingarm. I also use an API test kit. The damsels I had in the tank were doing great but I removed them because they were aggressive. What is my next step? Should I remove the remaining fish and start all over or leave them in there and see what happens? As far as water changes, I have done 1 every week usually changing 10-15 gallons. I don't know what else to do. I sure do appreciate all the advice I am receiving. Please keep it coming.

If I were you, I'd keep up with the water changes and not add anything for 3 weeks. In the meantime, I'd consider the QT tank setup. When you do begin adding fish, I';d suggest 3 weeks in between new additions. Did I mention a QT tank for the 3 week stay?? :)

Back
Top Bottom