Fish dying after tank upgrade.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I upgraded from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon and after only 2 days I have lost 9 fish. Before the fish died I had 5 GloFish, 6 neon tetras, and 2 zebra danios. One danio died while I was siphoning the water out of my 10 gallon. I put my old tank water in two 5 gallon buckets along with my fish, my air bubbler and my filter media. I used all the same gravel and decor and about 5-5 1/2 gallons of the water put into the new tank was the water from my 10 gallon. The rest of the water used to fill up the tank was from the tap, but was dechlorinated before it was put in the tank. I also made sure the temperature of the water going in the new tank was all the I then put the fish in the new tank and the air bubbler and the filter media went back into the filter. I also dosed the tank with API Stress Zyme. Two days later I found my neon tetras dead and my GloFish were staying at the top of the water. Then the next day they were still at the top of the water and I found another fish dead. So that night I did a 50% water change and used Seachem Prime to dechlorinators the water and 2 more fish died right after that. I tested my water the day after setting up the new tank and the ammonia was 0, the nitrites were 0, and the nitrates were 40 ppm. What could have went wrong when I upgraded to the bigger tank? Could my cycle have restarted since only about half of the water that went into it was from my previous tank?

Sounds like you approached everything the right way. Sometimes a move is very stressful and a fish just cant handle it. Could have also been the fish were stressed out in the old tank which sounds like it was pretty heavily stocked.

Sounds to me like you had a mini cycle in the new tank and the fish couldn't handle it. You tested for ammonia right after moving the fish, right? Maybe you needed to monitor the readings and do water more water changes. I'm just guessing, it does sound like you did things right. Sorry for your losses, it's upsetting.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My ph has always been constants at 7.6, but I'll test it again.

I tested ammonia the day after the tank was setup.

The guy I got the tank from cleaned it before he brought it to me, but he said he got it from someone else and that he never used it.

I also noticed little white spots on one of my fish and the 2 recent fish that died also had the white spots on them. After seeing pictures I am convinced it's ich. Could this also be a cobtributer to the death of my fish? How do I treat ich?

Ich looks like tiny white salt granules on your fish, often the fins first, but it will spread to other areas also. There are dozens of commercially available ich treatments on the market.

Back
Top Bottom