Fish dying help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uk.kat.uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. This is a log story so thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have 2 salt water tanks one has fish etc and corals (295L). I have no serious issues with this tank. I have another with just fish (210) in thisntank we have had some fish die over a number of weeks.

It all started when we bought a hush puppy dog face puffer. He was ok for a couple of weeks and then started to curl up on the bottom and one morning he died. We took a water sample to be tested. All levels were normal except ph was on the low side 7.4ppm. Also nitrate was on the high side 80ppm. We did a 20% water change.

Since this happened we have done lots of water changes the salt has been a consistent 1.025 and temp +/- 26c . We added a tang to the tank but he only lasted 24 hrs. Again there was nothing wrong with the water tests other than the low ph.

We thought all was ok and got a coral beauty and puffer at the weekend. The coral beauty died. The night before it died it had lots if tiny white speckled all over it. Like it had been sprinkled with white powder. Also a scorpion fish we have had for some time died a couple of days later.

The only inhabitants currently are a wrass, an eel and the little valentini puffer plus a hermit crab. We do not date add another fish becaise its like a death sentence.

We have cleaned the filters regularly. We have 2 external filters, 2 heaters, no sump. The water we put in this tank comes from the water in my other tank and I have had no issues so I dont think the water is the problem when it goes in.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Regardless of water parameters I would not use water from one tank in another as 'water change' ..Been there done that and it did not work out.. Fresh water is better IMO.
As for 'dusting' on fish look into marine ich and pray it is not...Ich in marine systems is a very tough issue..Completely different and way more trouble then freshwater .
I would try new water and getting NO3 to 20 or less before adding new fish..
How are you acclimating the new fish ?
Many fish stores keep their fish in 1.020[boarderline hyposalinity] to curb ich outbreaks specifically..So drip acclimating the new fish over a couple hours to adjust to your 1.025 might help also ?

I did not mean that I am using water from another tank for this one. Both tanks get a min of 20% water changed each week. What i meant is both get water using the same salt brand same RO unit so if it was the new water being bad then it would affect both tanks but its not.

Salt is 1.025

The fish were left floating in bags in the tank for about an hour with small amount of tank water added to the bags. Maybe this is not long enough but it works fine in my other tank.

Stop adding fish. That tanks close to stocked with an eel in it already. Such a messy fish. 210 liters is about 55 gallons I believe. Not big enough for all those messy fish like puffers and lions and tangs. Nitrate at 80 is probably the main cause of the fish deaths.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but your tank was overstocked. Several of those fish need larger tanks. The tangs need 6 ft tanks. Just way too many fish for a 210 liter tank. Try to do some research on the fish before you add or pick for your tank. Not trying to be a jerk just sharing my insight.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but your tank was overstocked. Several of those fish need larger tanks. The tangs need 6 ft tanks. Just way too many fish for a 210 liter tank. Try to do some research on the fish before you add or pick for your tank. Not trying to be a jerk just sharing my insight.
All the fish came from the same place and each time we asked if they would be ok and were told yes. I known the people in the shop are selling them etc but they have always been very good with advising us.

I'm not not even a fish store owner and I know that is too many fish. 18 years of experience has taught me a lot.

Back
Top Bottom