Fish Dying - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is my first thread here. I usually just read threads for information and advice, but I think I really need specific advice since my fish started dying off this week in one of my tanks and I have no idea what to do... Here's the details:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Currently:
(2) Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid “Dicrossus maculatus” “Brazil”
(7) Cardinal Tetra “Paracheirodon axelrodi” “Brazil”
(1) Arowana Tetra “Gnathocharax steindachneri” “Brazil”
(5) Corydora Concolor (Ln9) “Colombia”
(4) Common Otocinclus “Otocinclus macrospilus” “Colombia”
(1) Red Whiptail Cat “Rineloricaria sp.” L010a
Lost:
(3) (♂♀♀) Apistogramma cacatuoides “Super Red”
(1) Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid “Dicrossus maculatus” “Brazil”
(7) Cardinal Tetra “Paracheirodon axelrodi” “Brazil”
(5) Arowana Tetra “Gnathocharax steindachneri” “Brazil”
(1) Red Whiptail Cat “Rineloricaria sp.” L010a
(1) Super Red Bristlenose Pleco “Ancistrus sp.” L144A

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Per API Master test Kit:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8

Note, I rinsed filter foams in tank water this week.. I do weekly wc 25%, sand vac. this weekend I also rinsed the filter foams.. Did the same thing on nine other tanks (18 filters) with no issues. I don't typically use activated carbon

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

40 Gallon Breeder 2 years running

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

AquaClear 110 & 70

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Had about 37 most 1 inch.. lost 17.. All my tanks are similar set ups with no issues

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Water change, sand vac and filter rinse last weekend.. 50%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

6 fish (Wild caught arowana tetras) added 2 weeks ago. 2 doa and 3 more died in tank.. I temp acilmate

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

1 new plant.. added to another tank with no issues

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Hikari (Frozen shrimp, brie, daphnia), Bug Bites, Omega One, NLS

Additional details:

My stock have been dying off since I introduced 6 Arowana Tetras 2 weeks ago. I have 12 tanks including 5 20G Longs and 5 40G Breeders, well stocked w/ similar set ups. The remaining 2 is a 5.5 Shrimp Tank and 5.5 Hospital Tank. No problems with any other tanks despite adding different fish from the same source of the Arowana tetras). I get 90% of my fish from one source. I've been in the hobby for about 6 years w/ no major issues since I have a good weekly maintenance routine on all tanks and up until now a very reliable source. I never quarantined fish, but certainly regret it now with this last purchase. I'm going to set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank this weekend. My question is, what should I do with affected tank beyond the meds I'm currently using? Do I need different Meds (I ordered Fritz Maracyn 2)? Aquarium UV Sterilizer? I plan to perform a huge (80%) water change on Sunday after the current treatment. Should I do anything else (Try to disinfect, remove driftwood, plants, lava rocks, filter, media)? And how long before I can begin to restock? Should i donate the remaining stock to my LFS advising them of the issue? I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

After receiving some advice, I plan to do a 75% WC and discontinue the Meds and add Activated Carbon. Then Plan on adding more catappa leaves and alder cones and performing 2 50% wc weekly for the next couple weeks.

Not sure what else i should do, but would appreciate any additional feedback or confirmation of this approach

Back
Top Bottom