fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fbonneville

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish are dying and I'm not sure what to do.

75G FWFO - no plants
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 60ppm

I've been doing PWC every 2-3 days to get Nitrates down. This is an old tank which has had high nitrates but the fish are new.

About a month ago, I bought some neons, 2 angels, 2 glofish, 5 rosy barbs and a catfish.

a day later, one of the angels was dead and stuck to the power head intake.

Within a week, both glofish lost their lower lip and stopped eating and died.

a few days after, I noticed white fuzz on the catfish and he stopped eating as well. I euthanized him as he looked really bad off.

A few days later, I noticed a couple neons had white spots and were looking sick too. Euthanized them too.

As of today, everything else looks healthy except today I came home with my female rosy barb laying dead at the bottom, no sign of disease...

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I have 4 rosy barbs, 3 neons, a tetra ( not sure what ) and a baby angel.

I went back to the store today only to see the vast majority of their fish plagued with fin rot.

What am I supposed to do? Can I save the rest? Is my tank plagued and doomed?

Did you buy all the fish from the same lfs? It is possible one fish brought in an illness that carried to the rest of the fish?

If you think it is fin rot treat with melafix/pimafix and do water changes as necessary.

If you think it is fungus, I'd use Jungle's fungus illiminator.

All the dead fish came from same store but it seems they all died from multiple diseases and that's why I don't know what to do. What's left seems healthy so far and I'm tempted to just wait and see but on the other hand, I want to stop this cycle of coming home to a new dead fish.

Well I'd leave it for a day or two and watch closely for any signs of illness. Perhaps it was multiple illnesses from the same store. Good luck.

If you do have another lfs around start looking at them. You might've just gotten really unlucky or it might be the store. I saw that you said you are doing frequent pwc's but did you do them before?

from, Adam

Adam,

No I never did any PWC's before but I started reading AA when I got the new fish and have been trying to get the nitrates down since...

Okay, did you know about the fishless cycle? It seem like your tank is already cycled but just to make sure..

from, Adam

Fishfan321 said:
Okay, did you know about the fishless cycle? It seem like your tank is already cycled but just to make sure..

from, Adam

Yes, I know about the cycle, I've had this tank for ever. I just recently added some fish and they're all dying.

Alright, well then you might have a bad breeder with the lfs. If you are lucky enough to have more than one, go to a different one. It may hAve only been one stocking of fish. That's what happened to me.

from, Adam

You said you had this tank forever; how many of the dead fish were in the tank before you started doing water changes? If they were in the tank with high nitrAte readings you may be suffering from OTS (old tank syndrome). Fish will eventually adapt to living in water with high nitrAte levels. When you perform water changes to lower the nitrAtes the fish may die from the change.

You also said that said that both your glofish lost their lower lips. Angelfish can be semi-aggressive and attack smaller fish. It may be a stretch since the injury to both fish was the same, but your angel may be considered a culprit in the loss.

Thanks oneil

None of the dead fish were old.

I've had this tank for about 8years. I recently moved and brought all the water with me and kept the rocks and substrate wet in bags. I had 4 fish which moved with the tank. 1 died during the move.

Since the move, I bought the new fish which are the ones dying. The old fish are doing well, even with the PWC.

As for the angel, it's smaller than the glofish were and hasn't been seen aggressing anyone. In fact, he seems to be very peaceful thus far. He does like to come up to you when you look at him, a bit showing off so I think he likes to bully much bigger animals (me) and leaves the little fish alone. I'll keep an eye on him, just in case.

Hope I'm not forgetting something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom