Fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brucej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I would be grateful for any thoughts. Have lost about 5 fish over past month. Fresh water tank, temp 27celsius. All water parameters seem ok. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrite all show zero/ minimal.
Ph 7.4
I tried salt, and had no deaths for about 10 days, so thought it had cleared...

Latest death was one of my Angel's. My wife took a photo before disposing, and looks like some sort of ulcer / hole behind the eye.
Any thoughts / suggestionsIMG-20190808-WA0000.jpgIMG-20190808-WA0001.jpeg

Nitrate shouldn't be zero, it can be if the tanks heavily planted but my tanks heavily planted and I never drop below 5ppm (even dosing 20 ppm weekly) , when you say seem Okay ammonia should he absolute zero, nitrate should be zero nitrate 5-20ppm, don't confuse nitrite (ite) with nitrate (ate), nitrite is deadly at very small ppm where as nitrate is the biproduct of ammonia and nitrite and isn't as harmful I stopped worrying about nitrAte a long time ago, you should be using a liquid test kit to test your water as test strips are innacurate, what you're describing sounds like Hexamita (AKA Hold-In-The-Head Disease)

It's a parasite, you'll need metroplex (medication) if you can get it where you live, and here's the steps to treat, Step 1)*Quarantine the infected Angelfish in*a hospital aquarium setting*or*a suitable aquarium setting, but along with the normal diet, feed the Angelfish spinach.
Step 2)*Every 2 hours, increase the water temperature of the aquarium 1-2 degrees until it reaches 90°F (32°C).
Step 3)*Treat the aquarium with MetroPlex.

I'm not 100% sure if that's what this is, hopefully someone more experienced can come along to clarify.

The fins were tattered as well. I'd guess you had a bacterial infection. If this happens again, dose Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time. Yes you can do this. You might double check to make sure you have a cycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom