Fish eggs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BristlenoseBoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have had a tank for about 2 weeks now. I have 3 swordtails, a bristlenose catfish and a bronze cory. I looked around the tank today and saw some small white dots on the filter, the are with, circular and about 1mm from one side to the other. I thought they looked like eggs but I don't know where they have come from? Before I filled the tank I washed it out with boiling water and sane with the filtr and everything else. The swordtails I know are livetails, the cory and bristlenose are on their own so I don't know where they have come from??? I have posted some pictures in my profile album to have a look.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!!!

I would have to say bristle nose purely because cories don't lay in clumps, they scatter I think

Thats what I thought but my female bristlenose has never seen a male in her life!

Maybe. I was thinking of getting a male to go with her though, but I wasn't sure if this would cause territories to come up in my tank with the rainbow shark. I have an adult rainbow shark, 5 bronze cories, 3 sailfin mollies, 3 swordtails and my female bristlenose cat. When I started the thread I didn't have this many but I went down to my LFS yesterday and just couldn't resist seeing a 4.5" rainbow shark and 3 sailfin mollies for only $25. Plus my cory was getting lonely so I got him some friends! Will the nale bristlenose be ok with all the other fish in my tank? I know my female just goes along the bottum of the tank minding her own buisness. Please help!!!

Do you have any snails ? Nerite snails lay eggs on almost anything but they won't hatch without salt water.

Edit.. nope, not nerite eggs, now I look. Fish eggs for sure. Lucky you, it looks like you have a female that mated before you got her. Some fish can store sperm for later use, not sure if any of yours are among them, but she might have mated just before you got her.

Either way the eggs started to grow kind of a fur coat over them a bit, I saw that a few of them had hatched and the rest were sucked up by the filter. Minutes later I found a few small(tiny) black snails going along the back of the tank, they were about 5-6mm long and looked like a really thin black shell. Although I think the moment my rainbow shark realises they are there thaey will be gone before you know it!!

I know, but if I see some more I will take them down to my LFS and see if they know!! Thanks anyway though

Back
Top Bottom