Fish eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petitemonk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering waht causes a fishes eye to kinda protrude out of his head... I have 2 fish where 1 eye a piece is popping out of its head.

You could be referring to popeye. Popeye in general can have many causes, from parasites to a bacterial infection. It is sometimes the result of infrequent water changes.

What are your water parameters -- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Do you do weekly water changes and vacuum the gravel? What kind of fish are they? Is it possible that they were fighting and injured themselves?

For treatment, try an antibiotic first, like Maracyn 2, unless you can see parasites, then try an anti-parasite med. It's a good idea to use a QT tank so you don't hurt the bacteria in the main tank.

These are Rosey BArbs I alsways do WAter changes. I try and keep my nitates at a max of 15-20. AM NI are always like really close to 0.

My fish always chase eachother but it doesnt look like they ever atak eachother.

I just started to vacume the tank, I didnt know anything about it till I saw the tool like a week ago lol, but ive done it like every day, kinda fun.

I havent knoticed the fish having it. This kinda just snuck up on me,

Actually, gravel-vaccing is kind of fun! (except when the other end of the hose misses the bucket!)

I'm glad you like to use the gravel vac, but you don't need to use it every day. :wink: If you disturb the gravel too much, you may disrupt the good bacteria that keep the tank cycled. Using the gravel vac once a week at your water change is fine. When I do a water change, I vacuum half the tank one week, and the other half the next week, but I remove 20-25% of the water at each water change. This way I am not disturbing all of my bacteria colonies at once. (Some good bacteria also lives in your filter media, like your floss or sponge.) As long as your parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 40 ppm or less of nitrates, once a week is all you need. Here is a recent thread on using the gravel vacuum at water changes: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33435

PS. How is your fish's eye now? Sometimes, doing some water changes to bring the parameters back in line will help clear up the symptoms too.

Back
Top Bottom