Fish fasting day. The importance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here ill make everyone upset....

Even for those feeding a quality varied diet property its still more than not more than what many fish get in nature.

Brookster mentioned cleaning out. Someone mentioned wq both great points.

Hungry animals are healthy animals in my book. Fish are like dogs.....keep eating if you give it lol

If I read your comment right, you only feed 2 times a week? If you feed every other day, and skip one of those days feeding. That's not much food.

No I feed 3x a week. Feed Monday, skip Tuesday, feed Wednesday, skip Thurs and Fri and feed Saturday.

I've been doing that for 10 years and it seems to work without any problems. The tank is very stable for years.

Here ill make everyone upset....

Even for those feeding a quality varied diet property its still more than not more than what many fish get in nature.

Brookster mentioned cleaning out. Someone mentioned wq both great points.

Hungry animals are healthy animals in my book. Fish are like dogs.....keep eating if you give it lol

Out of curiosity, do you skip a day as well, or what does your feeding schedule look like?

No I feed 3x a week. Feed Monday, skip Tuesday, feed Wednesday, skip Thurs and Fri and feed Saturday.

I've been doing that for 10 years and it seems to work without any problems. The tank is very stable for years.
Isn't this very low? Yes they will stay alive and active too I believe but don't u think it may affect there growth and other factors? I am a rookie so no offense. Just learning.

Isn't this very low? Yes they will stay alive and active too I believe but don't u think it may affect there growth and other factors? I am a rookie so no offense. Just learning.
I am also a rookie. Wow, 10 years! Congrats.

My adult cichlids are fed two to 3 times a week, no issues. I have 4 year old peacock and multiple 3-4 year old labs and acei. Reef tank gets fed daily for the goby.

And Kashif, no its not too little, most adult fish who have large enough stomachs are fine with every other day or twice to 3 times weekly. Some fish have digestive systems that require more frequent feeding.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My adult cichlids are fed two to 3 times a week, no issues. I have 4 year old peacock and multiple 3-4 year old labs and acei. Reef tank gets fed daily for the goby.

And Kashif, no its not too little, most adult fish who have large enough stomachs are fine with every other day or twice to 3 times weekly. Some fish have digestive systems that require more frequent feeding.

Thanks but is it OK to feed fish like twice daily? I mean I watched a video on YouTube on how to keep Angels aggression low and that guy said to feed them well like two or three times a day. Is it a good idea?

Thanks but is it OK to feed fish like twice daily? I mean I watched a video on YouTube on how to keep Angels aggression low and that guy said to feed them well like two or three times a day. Is it a good idea?
I think the recommendation is once a day. Every type of fish is different though and each has special diets

Feeding angels twice daily is like giving food to a sumo wrestler before the match. He is still going to fight, just well fed while doing so. It may curb aggression slightly but the bigger issue is why the aggression is present in the first place, feeding alot and polluting the tank isn't the answer.

Feeding angels twice daily is like giving food to a sumo wrestler before the match. He is still going to fight, just well fed while doing so. It may curb aggression slightly but the bigger issue is why the aggression is present in the first place, feeding alot and polluting the tank isn't the answer.

Thanks for the reply. I don't over fed them while giving them food. I make sure all the food is eaten and my water in not cloudy or polluted.

Well, I have yet to see an Angelfish without aggression. They are cichlids so no matter what we do the aggression is there always. Mine don't fight worse and do not nip or chase each other. They just show dominance gesture some times.

Thanks for ur reply. I will reduce there feed.

Thanks for the reply. I don't over fed them while giving them food. I make sure all the food is eaten and my water in not cloudy or polluted.

Well, I have yet to see an Angelfish without aggression. They are cichlids so no matter what we do the aggression is there always. Mine don't fight worse and do not nip or chase each other. They just show dominance gesture some times.

Thanks for ur reply. I will reduce there feed.

This is my last post on the subject, I don't want to distract from this thread, but it's ultimately up to you whether you reduce feeding, don't do it because I said it, don't do it because 5 people say to, watch (and listen theoretically) to your tank and what it needs and make that decision for yourself.

Edit: I'm sorry, just saw this was your thread, ask away lol

This is my last post on the subject, I don't want to distract from this thread, but it's ultimately up to you whether you reduce feeding, don't do it because I said it, don't do it because 5 people say to, watch (and listen theoretically) to your tank and what it needs and make that decision for yourself.

Edit: I'm sorry, just saw this was your thread, ask away lol
Lol. No worries. Yes I see many guys have problems about me just because I don't share one opinion what they all do lol.

Anyways I got the idea on feeding. Thanks.

Lol. No worries. Yes I see many guys have problems about me just because I don't share one opinion what they all do lol.

Anyways I got the idea on feeding. Thanks.

I don't have a problem with anyone, I'll give you any help I can, but I'll also shoot straight with you if I disagree.

I don't have a problem with anyone, I'll give you any help I can, but I'll also shoot straight with you if I disagree.

Thanks. I was told about my inappropriate tank stock. I did open a new thread so all suggestions I wanna know so I can fix my problems.

I feed my fish every other day with a mixture of different foods, from flakes to home made food. Keeps waste and such from building up. Also lets my coral eat a variety of foods. I'm getting great colors

It might help if we all list the fish we are feeding and when ( how often) as different fish require different feeding habits. There is no blanket rule for all fish just strong suggestions for fish species. I would not feed my young fish the same as my old ones and I would not feed my Oscar the same way I feed my Swordtails or Guppies so for us to answer the question helpfully, what fish we are feeding helps. (y)

It might help if we all list the fish we are feeding and when ( how often) as different fish require different feeding habits. There is no blanket rule for all fish just strong suggestions for fish species. I would not feed my young fish the same as my old ones and I would not feed my Oscar the same way I feed my Swordtails or Guppies so for us to answer the question helpfully, what fish we are feeding helps. (y)
This is what I was trying to explain. Well said.

Alright, so here's my list
Fish I feed:
Saltwater reef 75g with 20g sump
2x clownfish
2xfirefish
1xsixline

Diet. Mainly high quality flake fed every other day, but on Wednesday They get homemade frozen food thats a mix of raw shrimp, seaweed, squid, zooplankton, mysis, and reefroids.

Coral gets fed twice a week reef roids and coral frenzy as well as my homemade fish food
Corals:
Duncan
Acan
Blasto
Green star polyp
Mystery coral?
Toadstool
Hammer
Torch

Misc:
Feather duster
Rosebulb anemonep

Freshwater planted 36g bowfront
1x angel fish
7xblack neons
5xblack Kuli loaches

These get fed every other day also, with high quality flake food being a staple. They also get fed fresh veggies on Wednesday.

I feed these fish every other day as I want to keep parms as perfect as possible. I also feed reef roids for my coral and that can mess your water up really bad, so one more reason to feed light.

Back
Top Bottom