Fish Fiddlers Eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullitzx2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i was wondering what fish do fiddlers eat. i know they will eat any kindof bottom dwellers but are they specific. i have a goldfish thats about an inch long and i havent seen him go after that. oh and the fiddler is about 2.5 to 3 inchs big. would a 1 in fish be alright or will he eventually go after the goldfish? its only been in the tank for a day and a half now

I have the bad feeling your tank is completely unsuitable for your fiddler in the long run. Trust me, I've had my share of trials and tribulations with small crabs. They are brackish crabs, meaning they need marine salt in the aquarium, somewhere between gravity of 1.004 and 1.008. They also need access to land. Keeping them in fully freshwater and with no access to land is a sure way to dramatically shorten their already brief lives. Unless you can set him up with a brackish environment with access above water, I would say spare yourself the possible future trouble, take him back and get some ghost shrimpies [I think they go well with goldfish, right?]. And I bet you the uninformed pet store will just dump the poor guy back into the freshwater, covered tank where you got him from.

As far as your question goes, they're scavengers and shouldn't be going after fish, unless they are small, slow swimmers, sick, etc. They sift through the sand substrate for bits of food and are rather regarded as part of a "clean-up crew" much like shrimp.

oh believe me i have the water set at 1.008 gravity and he has the choice to get out if he wants to. i threw the gold fish in because my friend has a turtle and he got way to many for the amount he feeds it. and it was just going to die so i gigured i would drop it in with my crab. so far it seems to be doing ok, however, i noticed some redness and scales missing on one of his gills so i think he may have attacked it but im not sure. but by all means im keeping the tank for the crab not for the fish. the fish was a just a afterthought. so far ive had the crab for about a month now and he seems happy, active and lively.

Good to hear. Now the situation has reversed itself, I feel kinda bad for the fishie :)

Back
Top Bottom