Fish Food Expiration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
DOes fish food have a expiration date? I found some dried blood worms and assume since they are freeze dried they would last lmost forever. But my real question is for normal flake foods, pelets, etc do they expire?

If you keeep the food in a cool dry place they should last you until the next time you have to buy more food. so pretty much wat i am saying is that they do not expire unless exposed to humidity.

I have a rule of thumb. One year after the date I open it, while stored with the cap secured and in a dry place. Problem is, none of the food has lasted that long. :D If it was never opened, it is just as "fresh" as the day it was packed.

I buy flakes by the pound and store the extra in the freezer. Much cheaper in the long run, considering what the lfs charges for a few ounces.

Just like you would take care not to eat spoiled food, the same applies to what you feed your fish. Once exposed to air and humidity, even flake foods begin to develop mold and go stale. IMO many of the so called mystery deaths are caused by food poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom