fish for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i think i am going to get some platys to cycle the tank. how many should i get? i was thinking i would get 2 females, and later when i want to i could drop in a male so they can breed.
:thanks::fish1::fish2:

Well your best bet is to cycle the tank without the fish. Platys have a pretty heavy bioload. So if you decide to go with a fish in cycle, you will have to watch your water parameters really closely.

I always recommending cycling the tank first before fish also unless you have a filter from an established tank to put straight into it.

Fishless cycling is actually easier and takes less effort than trying to keep your fish alive through the fish in cycle because water changes are almost redundant.

But on the other hand if you are prepared to test the water daily and to commit to daily water changes then it can also be cycled with fish in. Ammonia and nitrite will still always be present in the tank in fluctuating amounts throughout the cycle though so your fish will be feeling like ****!! For along time.

Fishless cycling is also quicker than fish in. With fish absent you can dose ammonia to a higher degree than if fish were in the tank. Under 1ppm (parts per million) is needed to stop your fish from dying in a fish in cycle. Seeing as the fish would be the ammonia source and youd have to keep ammonia below 1ppm for your fishes health, this way would also take longer for the bacteria to grow compared to the fishless where 5ppm is a good concentration of ammonia.

So fishless has alot of pros and is much easier than youd think with alittle research.

Back
Top Bottom