Fish for 40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go check out oddballfish.com.

There are going to be fish you want but can't have. Trust me! I know!
I would say a lot of people on this site would rip out there living rooms for dream tanks. But in till you can get bigger tanks find super odd guys like archers. They can shoot bugs out of the air! that's cool

You can have Some very cool fish. I think it's a misconception that the coolest predators are the largest . You just need to watch max size. This will allow for more then one fish. i do need to check compatibility of any you may
choose when it comes to predators. In the long run you will be a lot happier. Less problems and less loss of money for fish loss. Hope this will help.

POLARBEAR0871 said:
Ok then what kinda predators could I get that aren't common

Rehome all of your fish and you could do African Leaffish. Interesting little ambush predators.

Ok what do leaf fish eat and is there nything close to the clown knife fish. The problem is with rehoming the fish is the the two clown knifes would have to be put together they are like brothers that never leave eachother side the black ghost I just taught to be hand fed and the dragon fish well I don't really see him much buy I don't want to get rid of them cuz they're suck kewl fish but idk nyother predators that are exotic is the reed fish ok and what about the kuhli loach

Yeah it is but for some odd reason it's silver instead of like blue black or violet

Ok, well from what I understand, they can grow to about 18" and are pretty docile. They are also practically blind. So I suggest reading about them because I don't think it is quite what you were looking for?

Kuhli loaches are incredibly peaceful.

Well I had two dragon fish before and they were super kewl watching them eat shrimp but this one just hides all day and never comes out and you never see it eat but the rest of my fish I had for bout 2-3 months now and I love them to death

POLARBEAR0871 said:
Well I had two dragon fish before and they were super kewl watching them eat shrimp but this one just hides all day and never comes out and you never see it eat but the rest of my fish I had for bout 2-3 months now and I love them to death

I sympathize! I am the same way.

On the topic of fish that would suit a 40 gallon predator theme, I like our African Butterfly Fish! He can be beautiful, but really looks like a little monster to me. They literally stay touching the surface - very "top level" swimmer & do not tolerate other top swimmers. Check them out!

So I'm guessing they eat live food like Rosie's and gold fish things of that nature

POLARBEAR0871 said:
So I'm guessing they eat live food like Rosie's and gold fish things of that nature

Minnows, goldfish, and others of that family contain a chemical which inhibits absorption of nutrients in predator fish. Feed them sparingly. For any fish, you should feed a good staple pellet, flake, or gel food. I recommend Repashy Superfood gel. You can dangle it in your tank for top feeders or let it sink to the bottom. If you want to feed feeders as treats, I would breed some sort of livebearer or convict cichlids. With the convicts, they will not eat their fry but produce thousands, so if you only have a couple predators I wouldn't do them. They also require some time to grow to a decent size, probably a half inch or so. With livebearers, you can keep them in a smaller tank, like a ten gallon, but you need a separate tank for fry. You'll get hundreds of fry but not all at once. They are quick growers.

emerald76 said:
Minnows, goldfish, and others of that family contain a chemical which inhibits absorption of nutrients in predator fish. Feed them sparingly. For any fish, you should feed a good staple pellet, flake, or gel food. I recommend Repashy Superfood gel. You can dangle it in your tank for top feeders or let it sink to the bottom. If you want to feed feeders as treats, I would breed some sort of livebearer or convict cichlids. With the convicts, they will not eat their fry but produce thousands, so if you only have a couple predators I wouldn't do them. They also require some time to grow to a decent size, probably a half inch or so. With livebearers, you can keep them in a smaller tank, like a ten gallon, but you need a separate tank for fry. You'll get hundreds of fry but not all at once. They are quick growers.

I can tell you the convicts are easier route. Get a pair in a 20g and let it roll. Guppies are good but as mentioned. Require more gear and work on your part as you always have to be on the lookout for fry in the main tank. Then you have to catch/ transfer to fry tank. When I had predator tanks I ran both at the start. Only because I have the tanks and time. Ended up scrapping the guppies. Convicts will breed in a tank with nothing in it but water an flower pot base.

Ok thank you be cuz my fish I have know are all nocturnal and never swim during the day which makes me mad when trying to show them off to my friends so this butterfly fish is gonna be interesting

POLARBEAR0871 said:
Ok thank you be cuz my fish I have know are all nocturnal and never swim during the day which makes me mad when trying to show them off to my friends so this butterfly fish is gonna be interesting

Don't get it until all your other fish are rehomed!!!

Back
Top Bottom