Fish for a 5 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board and would like some advice. I have a 5 gal Eclipse Hex tank which is not finished (fishless) cycling yet, but it should be ready soon. I'd like suggestions for fish that would do well in such a small tank. I'm thinking of one male Siamese Fighting Fish but would like to hear other ideas.

I had a 10 gal tank before and was pretty successful with it, after some initial newbie mistakes, so I have a couple years of experience. The reason I set up a small tank is that my husband and I are going to be redoing the flooring in the room and a small tank will be fairly easy to move during a water change. After the floor is done, I plan on getting a 20 gal or larger.

Any advice will be very welcome, thanks. javascript:emoticon(':D')

I don't know if this is your sort of thing, but in the Fall when I get back to school I'm setting up a 5g all-shrimp tank.

All shrimp, all the time. ;)

You could try frogs, or wait to see if you put any livebearers in the 20g. If you do, you can use the 5g to separate the fry from their parents.

You could put a betta in the tank with a couple of ottos.....I have that in my 5 gallon.

I have also in the past have had a frog with a betta.

[center:5b6f72bcd5] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, cginflorida! :n00b: [/center:5b6f72bcd5]

5 gal tanks are really too small for many fish because of the lack of swimming room. Depending on the betta's personality, tank mates could include and African Dwarf Frog or some shrimp.
When you decide to get a bigger tank--I suggest a 29 gal or higher. It is amazing how quickly a 20 gal fills up. The rule of thumb around here is "Bigger is Better" :wink:

Hypostomus said:
All shrimp, all the time.
:lol: When it is set up--you must post pics!!

I like the Betta and two Ottos suggestion. Especially if you have some live plants.

I have a 6 gallon Eclipse, and in the past I had two Ottos and 5-6 Neon Tetras in there. The Ottos did a great job of keeping it clean, and they were fun to watch as well.

Those fish have since moved into a bigger tank, but I think the 6 gallon will eventually have another 2 Ottos with a Betta in it.

Remember that company is on a betta-to-betta basis. Introduce your betta last.
Be happy with a congenial betta, but don't be surprised or angry with a territorial one.

A mean betta can make short work of otos or froggies and get the cories eventually. In small spaces even fast fish can get nailed.
We have one large female here who has these scalps on her belt: 3 otos, 2 cories, 5 betta, 6 shrimp, a piece of cat nose and any snail smaller than 2 inches.

And we have three girls who keep company with each other, 3 otos and a snail.

Otos and betta

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I think I'll go with the 2 otos and betta for now. I had otos before, I love those little guys.

Back
Top Bottom