Fish for a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 60 gallon pond that I will be adding fish to once my turtle gets too big. Any ideas? I want to stay away from the goldfish and koi. I already have an idea but I want to see what you think. I live in Hawaii so winter temp won't be a problem.:fish1::fish2:

I have a 60 gallon pond that I will be adding fish to once my turtle gets too big. Any ideas? I want to stay away from the goldfish and koi. I already have an idea but I want to see what you think. I live in Hawaii so winter temp won't be a problem.:fish1::fish2:

First, let it be known that I don't have a pond, and have no experience with ponds -- but that said....

How about some freshwater minnows like White Cloud Mountains or Ruby Reds? Any coldwater fish should do well in an outdoor pond in Hawaii.

I'd avoid true tropicals because even in Hawaii, water temps in the 60's in winter might not be the best for them.

I think you'd be ok to put most tropicals in there, I would just keep an eye on water temp and shade it if necessary.

Hawaii is just as 'tropical' as many of the places where 'tropical' fish come from.

I think you'd be ok to put most tropicals in there, I would just keep an eye on water temp and shade it if necessary.

Hawaii is just as 'tropical' as many of the places where 'tropical' fish come from.

Ok, this is a bit speculative on my part and not based on experience, and I'm hear to learn, so....

Hawaii might be just as tropical as places where tropical fish are from, but the one consideration I'd have with tropicals in this instance is water volume.

More specifically, freshwater tropicals reside in much larger bodies of water than a 60 gallon pond (rivers, lakes, rice patties), and these large bodies of water act as heat reservoirs -- heating and cooling more slowly, with more even temperatures than a 60 gallon pond.

Average lows in Hawaii in the winter are in the low 60's, and the smaller water volume will cool to somewhere in the 60's overnight -- too cold, as I understand it, for most tropicals. That's just the average. Cold spells can get significantly colder. For example, the record low for Honolulu was 42 degrees Farenheit set in July of 2004. I don't think many tropicals would survive such temperatures in a 60 gallon pond though they might in a lake which, again, cools much more slowly and remains at a much higher temperature than a 60 gallon pond would given the same ambient air temperature.

Ok, this is a bit speculative on my part and not based on experience, and I'm hear to learn, so....

Hawaii might be just as tropical as places where tropical fish are from, but the one consideration I'd have with tropicals in this instance is water volume.

More specifically, freshwater tropicals reside in much larger bodies of water than a 60 gallon pond (rivers, lakes, rice patties), and these large bodies of water act as heat reservoirs -- heating and cooling more slowly, with more even temperatures than a 60 gallon pond.

Average lows in Hawaii in the winter are in the low 60's, and the smaller water volume will cool to somewhere in the 60's overnight -- too cold, as I understand it, for most tropicals. That's just the average. Cold spells can get significantly colder. For example, the record low for Honolulu was 42 degrees Farenheit set in July of 2004. I don't think many tropicals would survive such temperatures in a 60 gallon pond though they might in a lake which, again, cools much more slowly and remains at a much higher temperature than a 60 gallon pond would given the same ambient air temperature.

I agree it is hard to speculate on how much a 60 gallon pond will vary according to ambient temperatures. I'm sure it can vary a lot depending on whether it's insulated in the ground or above ground. And even with a dip into the 50s or so it's (speculated) not likely to do a whole lot if its back into the 80s in the daytime.

The best way of course is to check the temp regularly and see. If there is a really cold snap then it's definitely a good idea to move the fish inside for a while. I know that here in florida I have tubs and a pond with tropicals in them for around 8 to 9 months out of the year with no problem. Here it gets below freezing off and on for a few weeks during the winter months, so I don't like gambling with the fish and bring them in.

One other option is to go with some of the more hardy tropicals that people put in ponds, like guppies or other livebearers, and go from there.

Last edited:
Being born and raised in Hawaii I know that the temp does not really change all that much during seasons. So tropicals would do fine. If it does get cold it's not usually for long so water temp isn't really affected.

Ok thanks. I want to stay away from goldfish because I read warm water causes them to be messier. Koi are obviously to big for my pond. I have decided to have mbuna in the pond since I already have some rock work arranged. I am going to the cichlid category to get some advice.

Back
Top Bottom