Fish getting stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a few fish in my 200L but the one I'm getting worried about is my weather loach.
I have 2 young weather loach and there fine stress free and happy while I have an adult one who is getting very stressed when I walk past the tank or up to it, he literally panics like crazy.

My tank light is a medium brightness and there are a few hiding places not loads but a few, any ideas why he is getting so stressed?

(I'm planning on decorating my tank so the brightness is lower with more hiding places.)

I was just sitting next tithe tank and he came out, iv just noticed a nasty cut on his nose :( any ideas what to do?

I don't have loaches; I do have 2 CAE's & for the longest time (6 months or so) when I'd approach the tank they'd swim off as fast as they could & hide. How long have you had him? I would get those hiding places set up as soon as possible. What is your water change schedule? So long as the cut on his nose doesn't appear to be infected I would do extra water changes to keep the water as clean as possible or if possible move him to a QT tank until he heals up. I would also try to figure out what caused the cut, does one of the decorations have a sharp edge?

shellieca said:
I don't have loaches; I do have 2 CAE's & for the longest time (6 months or so) when I'd approach the tank they'd swim off as fast as they could & hide. How long have you had him? I would get those hiding places set up as soon as possible. What is your water change schedule? So long as the cut on his nose doesn't appear to be infected I would do extra water changes to keep the water as clean as possible or if possible move him to a QT tank until he heals up. I would also try to figure out what caused the cut, does one of the decorations have a sharp edge?

How long have you had him- well he was my mums tank it was only 50L and over stocked with goldfish so I moved him to my tank, he was in my mums tank for about 2 years and he's been in my tank for maybe 3 months

Water changes- I used to do 75% a week but iv eased up to 75% every 2 weeks- if you disagree with this I respect that but iv always don this and iv never lost any fish in this tank.

I have some slate which may have done it I'm re design the tank next week so the tank will be darker with more hiding places and the slate will not be in the tank

How long have you had him- well he was my mums tank it was only 50L and over stocked with goldfish so I moved him to my tank, he was in my mums tank for about 2 years and he's been in my tank for maybe 3 months

Water changes- I used to do 75% a week but iv eased up to 75% every 2 weeks- if you disagree with this I respect that but iv always don this and iv never lost any fish in this tank.

I have some slate which may have done it I'm re design the tank next week so the tank will be darker with more hiding places and the slate will not be in the tank

He may still be adjusting to you, like I said I don't have loaches but my CAE's took a long time to not run & hide from me. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about his behavior so long as he is eating & seems otherwise healthy. I suggested the increase in water changes only because he is hurt & you want to prevent any infection setting in, clean water will help with this.

shellieca said:
He may still be adjusting to you, like I said I don't have loaches but my CAE's took a long time to not run & hide from me. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about his behavior so long as he is eating & seems otherwise healthy. I suggested the increase in water changes only because he is hurt & you want to prevent any infection setting in, clean water will help with this.

When he was in my mums tank the tank was very low lite and he never done this, could it just mainly be the big change in lighting conditions? Good point he might not be used to me yet.

Sorry when I said the thing about the water changes I said that because a lot of people recommend I do 25% a week or something like that they say my 75% every 2 weeks is pointless, I understood what you mean I just didn't want you to disagree with my preference of water changes - respectfully :p

When he was in my mums tank the tank was very low lite and he never done this, could it just mainly be the big change in lighting conditions? Good point he might not be used to me yet.

Sorry when I said the thing about the water changes I said that because a lot of people recommend I do 25% a week or something like that they say my 75% every 2 weeks is pointless, I understood what you mean I just didn't want you to disagree with my preference of water changes - respectfully :p

I understand completely, no harm done. As for Mr. Loach, some fish are funny, he may just take a really long time to adjust to the change. Again, so long as he is eating & doesn't appear unhealthy (other than the cut on his nose) I wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom