Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyhawk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brother and sister decided to go to the store and pick up some fish for my tank. Thankfully they got some and don't know what they are ?. Awesome for me! Can you ID this fish?

Attachments

• image-1257270802.jpg
    image-1257270802.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 104
First thought is a Black Banded Leporinus...which would be bad news in most communal tanks...

I appreciate that. Are they just aggressive fish or what?

They seem alright now but they are still new. I'll keep a close eye on them. If I end up having to use my "timeout box" I'll take them back to the lfs.

Probably nt if, but when ;) they get huge and aggressive, just to echo what everyone else has said

I have one now it's about 5 inches and is definitely the boss in the tank. But other than a quick scare it doesn't do much but hide. It also doesn't like newcomers in his tank.

Keao_m said:
I have one now it's about 5 inches and is definitely the boss in the tank. But other than a quick scare it doesn't do much but hide. It also doesn't like newcomers in his tank.

How big of a tank is it in? What others do you have with it?

Absolutely one of the prettiest and coolest fish to watch. Very curious. Will explore all day. They will kill ANYTHING that is peaceful though.

It's in a 75g along with 2 blue gouramis, and a honey gourami.

If you end up having to return / rehome it, a similar colored fish .. Though with horizontal stripes is a striped anostomus. Probably difficult to find, but they don't get as large as the lepronius.

Had a group of 7 Leporinus Fasciatus all over 10", they are tough!! They lived with a colony of africans. If anyone is sick or injured they will finish it off but saying that they are still my favorite of the head standers, with a group they do amazing synchronized swimming events that will captivate for hours

jcolon said:
If you end up having to return / rehome it, a similar colored fish .. Though with horizontal stripes is a striped anostomus. Probably difficult to find, but they don't get as large as the lepronius.

I have looked all around my area and couldn't find one. But I'm impressed because the one I have is great. He used to be with one of my angelfish and never bothered it at all. I was a little shocked cause they are normally vicious.

I've googled it and looked at different pages and they are all contradicting! Some say they are peaceful, most say they are fin nippers, and some say they kill everything. Ugh! I found out that mine is a Black Banded Leporinus Fasciatus because they have 9 stripes instead of 10. So far they are still very calm and mindful of the other fish. I wish they would stay this way!

I appreciate all of your comments!

I've googled it and looked at different pages and they are all contradicting! Some say they are peaceful, most say they are fin nippers, and some say they kill everything. Ugh! I found out that mine is a Black Banded Leporinus Fasciatus because they have 9 stripes instead of 10. So far they are still very calm and mindful of the other fish. I wish they would stay this way!

It is a shame they can be such monsters as they are fantastic looking fish :(

If your referring to the anostomus, from what i've read (i'm interested in one down the road) they are relatively peaceful fish that have been known to fin nip slower fish with large flowing fins. They should be kept single, or in a school
of around 6. Apparently keeping them in pairs or threes is inviting an all out war.

In your tank, I wouldn't see an issue. Gouramis are more than capable of taking care of themselves.

jcolon said:
If your referring to the anostomus, from what i've read (i'm interested in one down the road) they are relatively peaceful fish that have been known to fin nip slower fish with large flowing fins. They should be kept single, or in a school
of around 6. Apparently keeping them in pairs or threes is inviting an all out war.

In your tank, I wouldn't see an issue. Gouramis are more than capable of taking care of themselves.

I don't have any gouramis. I have a 125g with the following:
Red tail shark 2
Rainbow shark 1
Black ruby barbs 3
Clown loach 7
Turquoise rainbow 2(pair)
Bala shark 2
Pleco 1
Anglefish 3
2 catfish
3 silver dollars
AND the new addition (2)