Fish Ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marinefishman said:
I wanted To add one more fish To My 55 gallon tank. I Have Two Puffers And Two Triggers Who Aren't That Big. Any Ideas?

What sort of puffers and triggers?

One Porcupine Puffer, He Just Likes To Eat And Bothers Nobody. Another Is Some sort of striped puffer, and then A Niger and Picasso Trigger.

Porcupine needs 180g minimum. Picasso and niger 75g. If the other puffer is a striped puffer ( Arothron manliness) then it needs 100g and grows to 12"+!
I think you need to do some more research!

I would say porcs 125+. Picasso/niger 125+. Stars and stripes 180+. Get rid of all of them and start over. I would suggest a pair of clowns, royal gramma, goby, and a dwarf angel.

I see a lot of people suggesting 125G+ tanks for some of these species listed above, however that is the size you will need if you plan to house them for its entire life. If the fish you have are small and you want to fit another one go for it, its your tank, just be prepared to move them to a larger tank when they get bigger. Triggers generally grow very slow IMO, puffers do not, and can grow around 3+ inches in 6 months. You can go on pretty much any saltwater forum and find someone on every thread disagreeing about tank sizes, just ignore it and do your own thing, just be responsible and make sure you bump up the tank size when the fish get bigger.

Agree with errol but I wouldn't put another fish in either until u decide to upgrade or sell one of the puffers when they get bigger. Yes the recommended tank size is larger then u have for those 4 fish but they also aren't very fast and active swimmers so while they r small ur 55 is good. The reason I wouldn't add another is that all 4 are heavy and messy eaters which puts a lot of strain on ur bio-load.

Then when ur ready find a 180 or 220 on craigslish and add a lion fish clown trigger and an eel and that would be a bad a** tank.

For those fish I really don't think it is so much the swimming room but the bio load.

It is def about bio load but hpefully with it being a 4 ft tank there is lots and lots of live rock that's y I said no more fish cuz there is already a large strain on the bio load. Also the 55 wont hold the lifters long cuz they can grow fast and its only a foot wide so no room left to.turn around.

ErrolP said:
I see a lot of people suggesting 125G+ tanks for some of these species listed above, however that is the size you will need if you plan to house them for its entire life. If the fish you have are small and you want to fit another one go for it, its your tank, just be prepared to move them to a larger tank when they get bigger. Triggers generally grow very slow IMO, puffers do not, and can grow around 3+ inches in 6 months. You can go on pretty much any saltwater forum and find someone on every thread disagreeing about tank sizes, just ignore it and do your own thing, just be responsible and make sure you bump up the tank size when the fish get bigger.

I couldn't disagree with this mentality any more. Its one thing to have a large predator tank and hold off adding a fish to that tank for its own protection. To add a fish to an undersized tank as its "permanent" home until it outgrows it is wrong and tells me you're in this hobby for all the wrong reasons. Why would you buy these fish and overstock your tank just to only have them for a few months? A fish should be housed in the appropriate sized tank no matter how small they are. Just because something is cool and you want one doesn't mean you should just get it because its small and it will be fine in your undersized tank. Its not fair to the fish and it could pose problems for your tank.

Ignore the people who say your fish "need" this and that. You dont need it, its just preferred.

Austin.brehun said:
Ignore the people who say your fish "need" this and that. You dont need it, its just preferred.

If you're not gonna give educated correct advice why even bother? To the OP, I wouldn't add another fish, IF you don't have upgrade plans already id start working that out now. Not gonna say youre a horrid person for putting two puffers and two triggers in a 55, but sadly you have 2 choices, either upgrade in prob 6-12 months...or sell the fish. Sure they could survive in your 55 but its like shoving a human in an 8-10 room ....not good. Just make sure to rezearch, research and research again in the future;)

Its not the same at all!!! Some of these fish were bred in small tanks in captivity. Alot of fish are made for captivity. No humans were.

And this isnt directed towards anyone inparticular but some people here are way too critical towards others. You can suggeat ideas but dont be mean about it.

Austin.brehun said:
Its not the same at all!!! Some of these fish were bred in small tanks in captivity. Alot of fish are made for captivity. No humans were.

And this isnt directed towards anyone inparticular but some people here are way too critical towards others. You can suggeat ideas but dont be mean about it.

Being bred IN captivity has absolutely no factor in this at all. It doesn't change the fact that you've pretty much told someone seeking help to ignore what experienced others advise of and do what he wants. That is in no way shape or form helping him at all. Be it as highly disputed, min tank sizes are there for 1 reason and 1 reason only, the health of the fish. I've never seen a tank bred fish with lower tank sizes when compared to wild caught. All im simply stating is if you're not gonna give good sound advice, then its not beneficial

There are very very few species of marine fish that are bred in captivity and those that aren't aren't easily found. I am still looking for a tank bred bangaii I have contacted 3 breeders and none males aren't holding long enough. They are on the red list so I won't buy a wild caught one.

If you're not gonna give educated correct advice why even bother? To the OP, I wouldn't add another fish, IF you don't have upgrade plans already id start working that out now. Not gonna say youre a horrid person for putting two puffers and two triggers in a 55, but sadly you have 2 choices, either upgrade in prob 6-12 months...or sell the fish. Sure they could survive in your 55 but its like shoving a human in an 8-10 room ....not good. Just make sure to rezearch, research and research again in the future;)

I'm really surprised to read this after looking at your recent thread (I commented as well) :ermm: Practice what you preach, please.

Back
Top Bottom