Fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bentley721

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, My dad has a 75 gallon tank that houses 3 koi’s all around 5-6 inches long. Due to some family emergency he has not been able to do all the extra work and maintenance on the tank and when I checked used the api master test the results were horrendous. Both ammonia and nitrate levels were sky high and I am pretty sure it is slowly killing them. One has a would on the tail end with flesh exposing. My dad told me he noticed one morning the tail was red and looked like his caught it on a rock or something and later it got worse.

I went out and got a 150 gal stock tank hoping I can transfer two of the fish in there and have the wounded on in the original tank. But I need help with cycling. I will go out to buy some prime and stability by seachem but I’m not sure if I can use them in a tank with fish. How would you do a in fish cycle? I also would like to cycle the stock tank while also cycling the original fish tank but would like some input as to where to start and what I should do.

Another question I had was about salt. I would like to add aquarium salt or kosher salt to both tanks but I’m not sure the dosage so if anyone can help me with that, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading my long request!

I'm not sure why you have to start over with the first tank. Will doing large, frequent water changes not lower the ammonia? Wasn't it cycled at one time?

Second, forget the aquarium salt. Several months ago I got curious about the use fo aquarium salt and looked up the scientific literature on it. Adding aquarium salt does nothing useful although a very small amount isn't particularly harmful.

Thank you for the response!

To be honest, I have no idea. I am sure it was cycled at one point in time, but I didn't know if it needed to be done again or not. I am a complete newbie at this. But for the new stock tank, I believe needs to be cycled right? Do I add any old tank water into it? Other than the prime and stability.

Also would 50% water changes every couple days or every day and would i need to add anything into to the new water? The water is from the garden hose so im sure its impurities in there. I have Api stress coat and will get the prime and stability this week end.

If there were fish in it for a long time, it was cycled, but apparently not cleaned. Try a 50% water change every day and the ammonia and other levels should come down. Unless the water from your garden hose is chlorinated, you don't need to add anything else. I presume it's the same as your house water. Just let it run for a minute before you add it to the tank. Be sure it's approximately the same temperature as the tank water.

Yes, the new tank will need cycling. Water from the old tank won't help much, but filter material, or gravel, or some other physical part as the bacteria colonize physical parts of the tank but aren't common in the water.

Thanks! I will do the 50% change daily and keep testing the levels. As for the new stock tank I'll cycle it fishless using the prime and stability and ill add some gravel to it too. Can I use the activated carbn filter? or just use filter pads?

Wow

That's a lot to take on for a newbie! I would be having a panic attack. Lol
The old tank does not need to be re-cycled like everyone has said. Just do the large water changes until the numbers lower on the test kit.

For the new tank take some gravel from the old tank(wait until the old tanks water parameters are good) and put it in some pantyhose or buy a media bag and try to put it somewhere in the new tank that has a water flow like in the filter or by a power pump.If the old tank has sponges don't throw them away unless they are falling apart. Instead take one for the new tank if there are multiples. If not cut off a small piece and put it in the new filter. If you do not wan't to wait to start the new tank cycle until the old tank is properly under control you can always go to your local fish store{no big chain stores} and explain your dilemma and they will probably give you seeding media for the new tank.

What type of media did you plan to use to cycle the new tank. I use sponges, Seachem matrix, and filter floss. Also don't ever throw away your biological media until it is falling apart. Seachem matrix has the largest surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize. That's why I use it. It lasts forever as well.

Hope this helped:))

Back
Top Bottom