fish in cycling with my platies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello amanda...

Hopefully, you have a fairly large tank with that many Platys. But Platys are one of the hardiest of the 'Livebearers" and as long as you have enough water in the tank to dilute the ammonia and nitrite these fish produce, your fish should survive the process.

You should have a reliable water test kit and test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, then remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water. This will keep the water relatively safe for the fish and at the same time grow the microscopic bugs that use the ammonia and nitrite for food.

Test daily and remove and replace the water when needed. Once you have several daily tests that show no trace of ammonia or nitrite, Your tank is cycled. The process can take up to 6 weeks.

B

My platys are actually small! Lol. I know they look big in this picture but they are not. I had nnnooo idea the amount of "waste" they produce and yes I had done my reseach. But to be honest none of the fish that I have read up on talk about that subject. Also this was not my first choice for "fish in cycle" but I am a sucker and these little guys needed help. My ammonia level is up. But nitrates continue to stay at zero. I have treated water" on stand if needed. I am watching very closely. If see a change i will do a wc. Thqnks.

Ommmmgg these fish are nasty! I am doing a 10% water change daily with some of the best treated water I can get. Really starting to get annoyed. Todsy will do 20% and clean the gravel. Thinking I need to get a better filter too. As much as they are driving me nuts they are my family now and want to make and get this right.

Fish-In Tank Cycling

Ommmmgg these fish are nasty! I am doing a 10% water change daily with some of the best treated water I can get. Really starting to get annoyed. Todsy will do 20% and clean the gravel. Thinking I need to get a better filter too. As much as they are driving me nuts they are my family now and want to make and get this right.

Hello a...

You can change up to 25 percent of the tank water daily, to keep the chemistry reasonably safe for the fish.

Testing the water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite will determine if a water change is needed.

It would be helpful to get some floating plants into the tank too. Anacharis is a very good natural water filter and will grow well in water with higher levels of ammonia and nitrite. It will help with the cycling process.

B

When I look straight at the tank it doesnt look bad. The water doesn't smell and fish seem happy. But when I look at side its clearly not "clear" (the water). Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom