Fish info please???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pnuts100

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I have been looking at some new fish and was wondering what your exsperince is with them,are they mean?,how big do they get?Are they good with other fish?
I have been reading about them but wanted to see what people thought that have had them,thanks everyone.

1.CICHLASOMA LABIATUM(red devil)

2.HERICHTHYS CARPINTE(Green texas cichlid)

3.CICHLASOMA MEEKI(Firemouth)

4.AULONOCARA NYASSAE(regal peacock)

5.C. frontosa (?????more info needed)

Sherri

The first two are meanies.
Personally, I have no experience with any of them, but I can tell you they are from different origins and have vastly different temperaments.
Check out this link for more info. Scroll down to get to the cichlids.

Sherri,

I hope you don't mind but I just took a peek at you profile and you have an Oscar in a 55-gallon tank. You are going to have your hands full trying to raise this fish in that tank. Are you considering adding the fish to your existing tank or are you planning a new tank?

Best regards,

William

i just inherited a red devil this week in a 75gal. the owners before me said they had tried several other lg aggresives in the tank with him (oscars and JD's) and the RD killed them all. He also severely harassed and damaged a HUGE pleco that was in there with him. I'm not sure if it was because the very very rarely fed him (12 feeder fish once every 2 wks) and that made him more aggressive, but i don't think i would risk any tankmates. Not to mention that a RD gets up to 12" and i know he'll feel kinda cramped after awhile if you don't have a minimum of 75.

i'm fairly new to the hobby but that is just my .02 Good Luck :)

Thanks everyone for the advice
I have bought a new 125 gallon tank so yes i have a place to put them,i would never buy a fish that i could not acomadate,that would be cruel.

I was just looking at fish on the web and reading up on them and thought i would see what everyones personal experience was with these.

What i will end up doing i think is stick to my oscars,i have had them for years and i just love their personalty.They live long and give me hours of fun,not to mention a headake,a bath and lots of other fun stuff :roll: .I just love them.I was looking at other fish to see if eny of them compair.

Thanks
Sherri

Back
Top Bottom