Fish Keep Dying! HELP PLZ! :<

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said before, my guppies eat off the bottom too. Not all the time, but as long as he's eating, I wouldn't worry. When I first brought mine home, they wouldn't eat off the surface, it was almost like they didn't know what to do with it. They hung out by the filter flow and waited for it to get pushed down there.

That's what I would do, just make sure he's eating and swimming around okay. Keep up with the water changes to keep the ammonia down. :)

I always recommend against the shake method to get the siphon primed. What I do is plug the end of the hose with my thumb, fill up the vacuum part with water from the tank and then move my thumb (into a bucket) and let the water completely fill the hose. Put your thumb back over the end of the hose when the hose is filled, there should still be a little water left in the vacuum part. Now stick the vacuum back in the tank and fill it up with water again, let go of your thumb into the bucket. Instant siphon without creating waves in the tank.

Last edited:
Just my method. I just put the vac in, and suck on the hose end to get the siphon going and point the hose end into the bucket and let the water flow in. Easy as.

Have you had a chance to buy the test kit yet? I am interested in knowing what your Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate readings are. This will give us an inducation of the status of your tank in terms of its cycle.

I have luck getting the siphon going by filling the vacuum and as much as the hose as I can with water (just dunk it in the tank and let it fill, with the tail end in the bucket) and then lifting it up so the water flows down the hose-- as soon as there's flow, get the "mouth" of the vac back underwater. Sometimes it takes a bit of patience but usually works. (Gravity helps.)

I like the suggestion to block the tail end of the hose with your thumb, fill it with water and then let the drain start-- probably a bit more fool proof.

I haven't had a chance to get a kit yet... I really don't have any money at the moment :\ but I'm going to get one ASAP.

No, there's just ghost shrimp in there right now. I'm pretty demoralized by all the problems that I've had with fish... I'm considering either giving up fish completely or just getting bettas... :<

Well, bettas take just as much work, if not more because of the conditions they have been living in, and their long fins. :(

Really? I thought like you didn't need a filter or anything and they just kinda sit around haha. I mean I know they don't need that much water to live and no filter so I figured... you know...

I have a filter not a heater... how come in stores they keep the bettas in little containers then??? I'm confused now...

Because:
1. Their situation at the pet store is only temporary.
2. There are quite a few pet stores that don't exactly take the best care of their fish, sadly.

Which is the main reason bettas have problems right after you bring them home. And they are kept in the little tubs because if they were all together in a tank, they would kill eachother. :(

Yeah that's true. My mom kept some in a vase with a plant at the top and some rocks at the bottom and they were fine... I guess that's why I thought they didn't need a filter..

Yeah, but that's bad, bettas take air from the surface, because their gills are small. She was lucky, and the plant probably helped with the toxins.

Back
Top Bottom