Fish keeping sins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When u put off turning your light off cuz u have been at school and practice all day and have barely gotten to see your fish but u can see the algae growing by the minute

When I was a kid I had about 5 fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon and I just changed all the water every month or so. And you had best bet I changed the filter pad out every month like clockwork...

Alyxx said:
When I was a kid I had about 5 fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon and I just changed all the water every month or so. And you had best bet I changed the filter pad out every month like clockwork...

I did something similiar. I had a 40g pond in one of my patios and I had like 8 goldfish in there and I would change the water around every 4 months. I don't know how they all lived. When I was little I also had four inch goldfish in a like 5g bowl that I had had since she was a little feeder fish until my mom gave her to some lady with a pond

I did something similiar. I had a 40g pond in one of my patios and I had like 8 goldfish in there and I would change the water around every 4 months. I don't know how they all lived. When I was little I also had four inch goldfish in a like 5g bowl that I had had since she was a little feeder fish until my mom gave her to some lady with a pond
Goldfish sins are endless. I heard of a person who kept 5 goldfish in a 5.5 gallon walmart starter kit tank. (Don't tell anyone, but that was my grandfather!:whistle:)

Yeah, there's just so much misinformation about them. Everyone thinks they are fine in a bowl. And I wondered why mine never grew...

Wishing for red cherry shrimp babies....after months and months of NOTHING....:nono:

............now I get new babies every few weeks:invasion:
now they breed at a rate where I cant even cope! Careful what you wish for they normally say! lol

Lovin Fish said:
I am bad in this department...not with my fish but with my husband LOL! :oops: I don't mean to be naughty, but if I don't fib about the fish or sneak fish into the house, nothing would change; he's impossible! The fish have turned me into a monster! :rolleyes:

Sin #1 Completely taking over my husbands fish-keeping hobby (y)
He was slowly killing them due to his lack of experience and refusal to research.

Sin #2 Telling my husband the Firemouth Cichlids had to go back to the fish store temporarily so I could clean the water up for them; they never came back. They were not compatable with ANY of the other fish in the tank, let alone eachother! I couldn't stand it! I did convince him into a different cichlid to replace them though :angel:

Sin #3 Telling my husband I'm going to the gym for an hour with other intentions; Gym 15 minutes, Fish Store 45 minutes. Get home and quietly sneak the bags with new fish and/or new plants into the tanks. Acclimte them secretly. By the time he notices everyone is in their place. He stares at the tanks confused but assumes I just re-arrange the tanks again. :whistle:

Sin #4 Buying 6 $40 Roseline Sharks and sneaking them in the tank. By the time my husband noticed them, the rummynose tetras were moved. He assumed they were the rummynose getting bigger. I never said a word! Just kept watching the movie. :popcorn:

I'm kinda a little upset/sad, i picked up my 7 roselines for $7 each at petsmart, but my sin is keeping them with
30 neons
8 pristella tetras
6 serpae tetras
4 lemon tetras
8 assorted cories
3 loaches
1 longfin albino bnp
5 longfin danios
4 betas
3 Celebes rainbows
2 bosemani rainbows
and I'm sure I missed one or two off the top of my head

Not researching when I started. My ten gallon had the following: 1 male betta, 3 clown barbs, 2 tiger barbs, 1 serpae tetra, and one pleco. My poor betta was so harrassed that he ended up jumping out of the tank during one water change. I didn't realize it until I got back from school a few hours later. What made it worse was he was behind the aquarium stand and I couldn't reach him. I ended up having to get the shop vac out and get him that way. Thanks to this site I learned that I was overstocked and took back the fish. All except the serpae. I know he should be in a bigger group and tank but he was my first fish and haven't had the heart to get rid of him.

manbeast said:
I'm kinda a little upset/sad, i picked up my 7 roselines for $7 each at petsmart, but my sin is keeping them with
30 neons
8 pristella tetras
6 serpae tetras
4 lemon tetras
8 assorted cories
3 loaches
1 longfin albino bnp
5 longfin danios
4 betas
3 Celebes rainbows
2 bosemani rainbows

AH! oh my gosh lol 64 fish in a 30 gallon tank!!

George9 said:
AH! oh my gosh lol 64 fish in a 30 gallon tank!!

I just looked up at my 30 and tried to imagine that... Wow. Then again, my 30 is still somewhat overstocked with my 3 fish... But I have super filtration and keep their water pristine, and they are still small. They'll get an upgrade soon enough anyway. But wow. 64 fish...

30 neons
8 pristella tetras
6 serpae tetras
4 lemon tetras
8 assorted cories
3 loaches
1 longfin albino bnp
5 longfin danios
4 betas
3 Celebes rainbows
2 bosemani rainbows
Holy Cats!:-o You must spend a lot of time doing PWC to keep your tank in check! Do your serpae tetras nip your long finned species and your bettas?

Back
Top Bottom