Fish laying upside and missing an eye + more fish problems PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
justintime20 said:
How can I make sure my water temperature are the same? i had problems doing this before and it killed a lot of my fish.

It would have to be a huge temp swing to kill them. As jlk said within a few degrees is fine. If you think about it, if your tank is at 72F and you add water at 80F you tanks not going to jump up to 80F it will be somewhere in the middle (depending how much water taken out and replaced).

Hello, I just wanted to send up support and good thoughts your way. I am going through the same thing you are!! I will keep your fishies in my prayers!

I hope your fish make it to! i got a question, you said something about my tank no being cycled. Is it bad if my tank isn't cycled, and should i do it?

i don't know if this is important or not but i found that my fantail missing an eye, his pectoral fins are different length. One is longer than another. I tested the water and i got the same results. I will do another water change tomorrow. Also the fantail missing a eye seems to moving around more instead of floating upside down.

Different sized fins is not of importance-its probably just what he was born with from a genetic standpoint. The condition of fins is important though- are they tattered or ragged looking or pieces are broken off? If so, he probably has fin rot & this is something we may have to address if they dont improve with healthy water. Im glad your sick guy seems to be doing a bit better!!

his fins look like some have been ripped or torn apart. What can I do to help him? also my other fantail is staying at the bottom of the tank the whole time like all day

Is the one staying on the bottom eating at all? I really think they just need some time & healthy water at the moment. They suffered through some horrific water-they will not recover overnight but over time. Lets see how they look in a few days to a week. If they take a turn for the worse, please let us know. In the meantime, stay viligant on your daily water tests & changes. Dont hesitate to ask if you have more questions!

no he isn't eating i don't think. Ok and sorry, i get really over protective about stuff

No problem, Justin! We will try to get you & your fish through this the best we can! We have to hope for the best here-you do your part with keeping their water as healthy as possible! Lets see how they do on their own & we will try to address anything that comes up. Keep us posted!

My fantail missing a eye seems to do a lot better, but my other fantail staying on the bottom seems to lay there all day. I keep doing water changes and got a bigger tank. Also I don't have gravel rocks I have these big rocks in my tank that have brown spots on them. What should I do, and my decoration is turning from white to brown. What should I do, and sorry for the long/late post

The decorations turning brown is probably a diatom bloom. This happens when a tank is cycling or new. It will eventually go away or you can scrub it off. Do you have a liquid test kit? What are the most recent results. It's good that you've upgraded to a larger tank and are doing lots of water changes. Keep up the good work!

Yes I have a test kit but what should I do about my rocks? I'm doing another water change fri. So I tell you my results then, and what about my fantail doing nothing.

justintime20 said:
Yes I have a test kit but what should I do about my rocks? I'm doing another water change fri. So I tell you my results then, and what about my fantail doing nothing.

Test your water and do a water change as soon as possible. If its laying on the bottom that could be a sign of high levels. The brown on your rocks is diatoms. They feed on the silica in new tanks. You can scrub them off if you like but they may come back. Diatoms is normal in a new tank and will eventually go away buy themselves in a months or two.
When in doubt or something's off do a water change.

I agree with Mumma. Test your water & see what kind of resuts you are getting & do a water change. Detectable leves of ammonia and/or nitrite or a nitrate level above 20ppm are enough to create issues with fish. Im gad your sick fish is doing better! Keep up the good work!

sorry for the long replay but my levels are
pH-7-6
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

the same. My comet seems fine. My fantail missing an eye half of the day floating upside down, and the other half swimming. My other fantail sits on the botom of the tank all day.

I hope they recover over time in a healthy tank! Unfortunately, there really isnt much that can be done to mitigate the damage other than keeping their water healthy & feeding them a good diet. Please dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions or if you need some help with anything!

Should i stick with my aquaclear filter or should i change? because i really hate buying 3 parts to a filter but then i heard there like the best filter. Other filters i had before like marineland and aqueon were great but the water would overflow over the wall and not through the filter pad. The overflowing would occur in a day too. Should i change filters is the question?

Back
Top Bottom