Fish less cycle or fish cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mth97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it okay to cycle my new tank with a pearl scale goldfish ? Or would a fish less cycle be better !

???

They're your fish. What's your ammonia level?

Is the 28 liter where the goldfish is now or where it is going?

I made pretty much every possible mistake starting out, so I say this with deep empathy- there's a lot of important information you need to know.

28 liters is too small for a goldfish. Fancy goldfish need at least 30 gallons, not because of their size but because of their impressive ability to produce waste.

Cycling your tank takes however long it takes. You need to be adding an ammonia source to build up beneficial bacteria.

It sounds like you're using test strips, which, aside from not being entirely accurate, don't have ammonia tests. I highly recommend the API master test kit. Get the whole thing. It's less expensive than buying individual tests.

We all make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them.

Thank you so much I'll be sure to grab one !

It was so frustrating at the pet store I was told this would be plenty of space which is why I bought the tank !

Sorry I probably sound a bit silly but how will I know when it is cycled ?

A tank is cycled when the nitrifying bacteria can turn 4ppm ammonia into nitrates within 24 hours. The way to know whether you're cycled is to test the levels daily for right now.

Pet store people.... Ugh. There is something about goldfish that people just don't seem to get. There's a really good site that I've learned a lot from- http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/goldfish-bowls/

mth...

You cycle a tank with a hardy species. One that doesn't mind the changes in the water that happen during the cycle. I'd suggest Guppies, Platys or Sword tails if you like livebearing fish and Rasboras, White clouds or Danios if you like fish that lay eggs. Any of these would be fine. If you need the steps, then just ask.

B

Back
Top Bottom