Fish not growing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been noticing that my fish are not substantially growing. I may not notice because i see them twice a day, but it doesn't look like they are. only one of the 7 has hit it's maxed size, although i can definitely see the BN pleco growing. the other fish are:
1x angel
3x platy
1x three-spot gourami

:thanks:

p.s. i do 25% WCs every 2 weeks.

What size tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekly 50% wc's... simple! Fish release hormones into the water, the more these hormones build up the less the fish will grow.. that's why you do daily wc's in fry grow out tanks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, I'll start doing weekly WCs

What are you feeding? a good quality diet along with the water changes can make a world of difference my Angels and Angelicous botia loaches have grown like weeds with with a high protein diet.. I feed once to twice a day b/c the two loaches i got looked pretty malnourished when i got them.. so trying to fatten them up and grow the angels pretty fast! i rotate between Omega 1 Color enhancing tropical flakes, Frozen brine shrimp, shrimp wafers for the loaches, freeze dried blood worms and peas once a week to keep their gi system in check(high protein diet can lead to constipation and blockages)!

I probably feed a little more than recommended but but my fish have grown very fast with my current feed schedule.. but remember with extra feedings comes the need for more frequent water changes.. i do about 30% every three days +or- a day.. and all my levels stay good nitrates around 5-10 amm. nitrite =0

Also temp plays a role lower temps will slow down metabolism and slow growth, where as higher temps with speed up metabolism and growth, Also if you have a lot of current in the tank esp for the angels that's going to stress them a little more and they will expend more energy and will tend to grow slower

What are you feeding? a good quality diet along with the water changes can make a world of difference my Angels and Angelicous botia loaches have grown like weeds with with a high protein diet.. I feed once to twice a day b/c the two loaches i got looked pretty malnourished when i got them.. so trying to fatten them up and grow the angels pretty fast! i rotate between Omega 1 Color enhancing tropical flakes, Frozen brine shrimp, shrimp wafers for the loaches, freeze dried blood worms and peas once a week to keep their gi system in check(high protein diet can lead to constipation and blockages)!

I probably feed a little more than recommended but but my fish have grown very fast with my current feed schedule.. but remember with extra feedings comes the need for more frequent water changes.. i do about 30% every three days +or- a day.. and all my levels stay good nitrates around 5-10 amm. nitrite =0

Also temp plays a role lower temps will slow down metabolism and slow growth, where as higher temps with speed up metabolism and growth, Also if you have a lot of current in the tank esp for the angels that's going to stress them a little more and they will expend more energy and will tend to grow slower

I keep the tank at 81*. I rotate feedings between tetra min color flake, tetra min flake, tetra min granules, and cobalt color flake. I have baby shrimp treats, but the fish aren't big enough to eat those yet... I may start feeding bloodworms as well or a different brand once I run out.

Thx for all the help,
Fishguy1111

I keep the tank at 81*. I rotate feedings between tetra min color flake, tetra min flake, tetra min granules, and cobalt color flake. I have baby shrimp treats, but the fish aren't big enough to eat those yet... I may start feeding bloodworms as well or a different brand once I run out.

Thx for all the help,
Fishguy1111

Sounds like they just need time.. regular water changes.. if you have access to a fish store that cells frozen foods frozen brine shrimp are rich in nutrients and protein i would try that their very small my fish love them.. even my neon tetras eat then like crazy! their a pretty reasonable price also i feed them 2 to 3 times a week and a 4 oz bag last me a couple of months at petco i get a 4oz bag for 3.50 so not to expensive either

Sounds like they just need time.. regular water changes.. if you have access to a fish store that cells frozen foods frozen brine shrimp are rich in nutrients and protein i would try that their very small my fish love them.. even my neon tetras eat then like crazy! their a pretty reasonable price also i feed them 2 to 3 times a week and a 4 oz bag last me a couple of months at petco i get a 4oz bag for 3.50 so not to expensive either

thanks! ill definitely get some!:thanks:

Just fed bloodworms this morning. Angel loved them, but nobody else seemed interested...

Just don't feed them to frequently or it can cause them to become constipated.. I usually give my a couple of peas once or twice a week to offset the high protein diet

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Case is never closed with fishkeeping, lol.

Base food...... quality flake and/or pelleted food
Additional...... frozen bloodworm, daphnia (top food for constipation prevention), brineshrimp (not actually that nutritious), tubifex, mysis, chopped cockle/mussel... and frozen foods, earthworms (an almost complete food for fish it is so good).

The key is little and often.... more natural and more gradual loading of waste to the filter = better efficiency of nitrification. You can feed small amounts 6 times a day if you want, as long as your filter has a large enough surface area to house enough bacteria.

Oxygen is your biggest limiting factor. For good natural growth, fish need optimum temperature for their individual needs depending on species, excellent water quality, high quality digestible foodstuffs and high levels of dissolved oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom