Fish scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
leave the fish in. Take the decorations out and take a bucket of the tank water and just scrub them up. Then you can put them right back in. You don't have to do water changes so much. Once a wk is fine. You should get a test kit that test the ammonia when you go shopping again. Main thing is to watch your fish. If they start acting weird then something's up. And the slime coat is when your cycling the tank. Sounds like yours is past that if it's got a green color. vacuum the bottom. Don't wash it, just get the poop and wasted food out of there. Your fish will do alot better without all that in there. It becomes toxic if that build up just sites there. And in the future you might want to have another tank on hand, case you have to pull one out to treat it for something. Just to have it. A 10-20g is idea. Just because it's easier to dose medication. (Just keep it in mind)

I wouldn't worry about another tank or bowl right now. And no bowl. You can use a tote(much cheaper) the fin is probably do to the quality of the tank. Or it might of been like that when you got it. When you get the tank cleaned up and better, cleaner, clearer,water it will heel up. It will take some time. But as long as you keep the tank clean everything will get better.

I wouldn't worry about another tank or bowl right now. And no bowl. You can use a tote(much cheaper) the fin is probably do to the quality of the tank. Or it might of been like that when you got it. When you get the tank cleaned up and better, cleaner, clearer,water it will heel up. It will take some time. But as long as you keep the tank clean everything will get better.
Ok will do another thing about the fish fins does it look like something has been nipping the back fin of this angel?

Ok will do another thing about the fish fins does it look like something has been nipping the back fin of this angel?
looks like new growth, but could be nipped from the others. It's hard to tell. Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then it's nipping. If it's better in a few days it's just growing back.

looks like new growth, but could be nipped from the others. It's hard to tell. Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then it's nipping. If it's better in a few days it's just growing back.
Hoping it's growth cause that s the small one out of the 3 also I know u said don't get a bowl but if I soup it up with a heater light and air stone can I use one, or do you still recommend a square one that's bigger and has all those things

Hoping it's growth cause that s the small one out of the 3 also I know u said don't get a bowl but if I soup it up with a heater light and air stone can I use one, or do you still recommend a square one that's bigger and has all those things
It don't have to be square. It's just that a bowl for angels will stress them out really bad. The fins on angels need room or they will damage them.

Just breathe! Read all the replies you've gotten and then read them again. I have 2 angelfish and they are hands down my favorite fish! They can recognize me out of other people instantly and will beg me for food anytime I walk by. They are such beautiful and quirky fish! But they need space! If I were you I would try to re home the angels because you're going to keep running into issues with them in that small space and it's going to create so much more headache for YOU and you will never get to sit back and enjoy your tank! But a 20 gallon is a nice size for so many other cool fish so if that's something you would like to do I'm sure everyone here could recommend some cool little fish for ya! It's a learning process and I could share some horror stories about what I did when I first got into fishkeeping ??

Just breathe! Read all the replies you've gotten and then read them again. I have 2 angelfish and they are hands down my favorite fish! They can recognize me out of other people instantly and will beg me for food anytime I walk by. They are such beautiful and quirky fish! But they need space! If I were you I would try to re home the angels because you're going to keep running into issues with them in that small space and it's going to create so much more headache for YOU and you will never get to sit back and enjoy your tank! But a 20 gallon is a nice size for so many other cool fish so if that's something you would like to do I'm sure everyone here could recommend some cool little fish for ya! It's a learning process and I could share some horror stories about what I did when I first got into fishkeeping [emoji21][emoji21]
Thank you

After that problem the creepiest thing happened this morning. I turned off the light s on the fish tank around 11 last night an a all the fish were sailing around happy and healthy nothing out of the ordinary (at least I didn't notice anything but I just started so I could be wrong) and when I turned it back on around 10 is this morning there were only 2 cory catfish I checked inside and under all the decorations around the tank under the gravel even in the filter and I could not find that 3rd fish there is no way it was eaten bones and all in only 12 hours let alone by baby fish there is also no way that my cat ate it he won't come up to my room at all and he wouldn't have been able to fish it out either because it has a lid on it. I am at a lost right now and have no idea what happened I plan to look at it more when I do the full cleaning like you suggested but before that any ideas?

If you decide you want to try and keep them I would at least get rid of the bigger more aggressive one right now. And do more water changes. I'd do at least 2 a week and invest in a liquid test kit. The test strips aren't known to be very accurate and with a good test kit you will know when to change water and how much. It will help you quite a bit! ☺

If you decide you want to try and keep them I would at least get rid of the bigger more aggressive one right now. And do more water changes. I'd do at least 2 a week and invest in a liquid test kit. The test strips aren't known to be very accurate and with a good test kit you will know when to change water and how much. It will help you quite a bit! ☺
I was planning to get that test kit and a gravel vacuum very soon and new hiding spots. But do you have any idea about that catfish could angels do that?

After that problem the creepiest thing happened this morning. I turned off the light s on the fish tank around 11 last night an a all the fish were sailing around happy and healthy nothing out of the ordinary (at least I didn't notice anything but I just started so I could be wrong) and when I turned it back on around 10 is this morning there were only 2 cory catfish I checked inside and under all the decorations around the tank under the gravel even in the filter and I could not find that 3rd fish there is no way it was eaten bones and all in only 12 hours let alone by baby fish there is also no way that my cat ate it he won't come up to my room at all and he wouldn't have been able to fish it out either because it has a lid on it. I am at a lost right now and have no idea what happened I plan to look at it more when I do the full cleaning like you suggested but before that any ideas?
You can try keeping the lights off for a few hours to see if it comes out. And just keep in mind, the longer you keep the lights on, the more green stuff (algae) you will have and the more cleaning you will have to do. Try cutting back on that alittle too. I like to see my fish too, but don't like to clean my tank more than what I have to. So, I have a color changing air stone I turn on once in a while. I don't always use the air, it's more for the light. And once you get all this down pat, you can always upgrade anything, anytime. Baby steps!

You can try keeping the lights off for a few hours to see if it comes out. And just keep in mind, the longer you keep the lights on, the more green stuff (algae) you will have and the more cleaning you will have to do. Try cutting back on that alittle too. I like to see my fish too, but don't like to clean my tank more than what I have to. So, I have a color changing air stone I turn on once in a while. I don't always use the air, it's more for the light. And once you get all this down pat, you can always upgrade anything, anytime. Baby steps!
Ok I'll try the lights I've been trying to cut back

Ok I'll try the lights I've been trying to cut back
[emoji28] I know it's hard. When you have beautiful fish, you want to see them, watch them. If you have a night light use that by the tank. A low light works great too. Even a low light lamp. Just so you can see them alittle better.

It may have died or it could be hiding. Have you checked the filter? I've lost a fish or 2 and never found their skeletons as odd as that sounds! But if it's little it may just be hiding. I know my little oto catfish were masters at hiding!

Cleaned out the tank almost screwed up and did a 100% water change but realized it right before I did it I moved the rocks (still have to vacuum them) but couldn't find the fishes body guess we'll either smell it or it will go down as a mystery and after doing the major water change I tested the water all good except for ammonia didn't get the thing to test it so don't know yet I'm planning on going to get the vacuum and test kit this week maybe even tonight

Guess I should have listened to you guys you were right. about not buying those extra fish one of them musta died cause of something not related to the water being ready :-(

What issues are you facing right now? Are you still doing water changes? And lastly what fish are still in the tank? I'll try and help you best I can!

Well as of now everything is looking good I didn't see the catfish eating the flake food or rocks that much so I got them some sinking food they don't look to interested in that but they will I am doing weekly water changes and just got the liquid to test for ammonia didn't get the all inclusive liquid test thing so still using strips I got my water tested tonight at the store and they said it was good still looking for that catfish too and I got another plant for the fish I do have one question though one of the anglefish's back fin is looking a little torn up don't know if it is nipping or growth here's a picture thanks for asking 1516151673437.jpg

when you go to get your water tested ask for all the readings , reading through this entire thread not one mention of ammonia levels ,
ask for the numbers of all of the readings.
nitrite
nitrate
ammonia
ph
not only will it help you but it will help everyone trying to help you , getting the correct information is more vital than guessing.

Back
Top Bottom