Fish shipping questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK........My 2 black angels need a good home.
They are pretty good size fish....about 6 inches from top to bottom fin.

My problem is I don't know the best way to ship them.
I have breather bags and heat packs.
I've shipped plenty of stuff but never fish of this size.
How much water will I have to pack them in and should I put them in separate bags?
With the breather bags they should be fine if I ship priority mail correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dsc00235_800x452_154.jpg
    dsc00235_800x452_154.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 29
I am VERY interested and have a marvelous home for them already.

Shoot me a PM

I would only ship FedEx or UPS overnight. Priority Mail can take days.

One bag per fish, half full of water and half air. Make sure there is a good tight seal on the end of the bag so it doesn't leak. Put the bags inside of a styrofoam cooler inside of a box. VERY tight fit. Then write FRAGILE all over that box with red ink.

Yep I know.......priority mail.......should take 2-3 days.

I have breather bags.........not suppose to put air in them.

Anyone have any experience with breather bags and fish of this size?

Fishyfanatic said:
Then write FRAGILE all over that box with red ink.

You mean "KICK ME" right? :lol: I have a cousin at UPS....those boxes are highly abused on purpose.

Make sure you tape the heck out of the box though. Those feet can go straight through one or two layers of tape. You can never have too much tape on a box. Do it to all seems as well, just not the top or whatever.

Priority mail is 2-3 days in MOST instances...in many places, it is 4-5 even Priority and there is NO guarantee. If you want to, you can also do overnight, counter to counter, hold at post office for pick up. This usually occurs in 24-48 hours. Once again, not all areas are serviced overnight, even though they sell the overnight deal.

I don't know how this is done but I remember reading on a few websites that sell discus that that the fish are shipped "sideways". They only put enough water in the bag so the fish lays flat. It supposedly reduces the stress from shipping these fish. I am not sure if it would work for angels or not but it may be worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom