Fish swimming backward into other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLockhart89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two Mickey Mouse Platys and today it seems as though they are fighting; Not aggressively though. One looks like he is swimming backward into the other one constantly so the other one pecks at him. Anyone ever experience this odd behavior?

If one is a male and the other isn't then this is what my platys did before one had babies and I wasn't intentionally breeding them

hey i live in san antonio too! anyways do you have a picture? you can tell the difference between male and female by looking at the anal fins, the females are more rounded while the males are pointy almost like a sword.

my male will do that to either one of the 4 females in the tank and is part of mating.

Ill take some pictures tomorrow when their day time light is on. I bought them at Aquarium Adventure off Culebra. I just figured they were all the same sex.

I suppose same sex platies could do the same thing, yeah I bought most of my tank equipment from there till I realized how over priced they how, all about pollys pet shop or Fintique now :p

First photo may be a bit clearer for MM Platy #2 (darker)...second shows thr backward swimming.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130426_194230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130426_194230.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20130426_194237.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130426_194237.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 111
By the way, the male looks like there is something going on in the aquarium. He doesn't look too good. His fins are really clamped.

Any better??

Any better?? This one is so hard to get a great photo of. lol These past few days it's been swimming with the fins tucked in unless it is feeding time. :fish1:

Attachments

• IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 93
Any better?? This one is so hard to get a great photo of. lol These past few days it's been swimming with the fins tucked in unless it is feeding time. :fish1:

Are you sure that is the second fish? That is a female all day long...

By the way, the male looks like there is something going on in the aquarium. He doesn't look too good. His fins are really clamped.

Yes, this has been going on since he started doing the backward swimming into the other Molly. I checked levels and temp in the tank and everything appears fine. He does this while next to the other molly. Feeding time or if around the other fish...he is fine.

Back
Top Bottom