Fish Tank Pop Limit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 G tank. I would like to add more fish. I currently have:
Filtration: 1 rena filstar xp2 and 1 penguin 170 hob
Heavily Planted with DIY 2L CO2 and 20 watts of lighting
1 male + 1 female Honey Gourami
3 male + 3 female Guppies
1 male + 2 female Platies
3 Ottos
Am I at my limit?
Could I add more fish? If so how many? Any suggestions on what type?
Thanks for your help

I personally don't think you are at your limit, but some other people may disagree. The number of fish you can add would depend of what time of fish you want. A school (3-4) of tetras or rasborras may be neat?

You could probably add a few more if you kept up with water changes...however my concern is for your plants. You need 2 watts of light per gallon of water in the aquarium so your tank needs 68 watts of light at LEAST for low light plants. You could get some medium light plants to do ok with this amount of light but 20 watts isn't nearly enough.

I think you have room for some bottom feeders. I agree with the plant situation as well, 20w is not much for a heavily planted tank.

My plants seem to be doing fine. I have to trim them every 2-3 weeks depending on the type of plant. I started with one of each plant type listed below and now have a jungle appearance due to clippings. The tank is located near a window and gets sunshine only in the morning hours. There is no algae problem. The plants I have include: Hygro Poly Rosanervig; Ludwigia Repens; Hygro Poly Ceylon; Hygro Corymbosa; Corkscrew Valisneria; Anubias Barteri; Watersprite; and some type of unknown crypt type plant.
So far for the fish being suggested: 3-4 Tetras or rasboras / bottom feeders
Any specific type of the above that will do well in my tank?

Brilliant Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis) would be an excellent choice as well. They remain reasonably small, school together very nicely, eat almost anything but won't bother your plants and are active, 'out-front' fish. Besides....they're really pretty!

Back
Top Bottom