Fish & Tank Probs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missxstatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had fish for many years, but they were only the average/normal goldfish or non-aggressive fish. My partner brought Cichlids and this is the first that we've had to experience them - he has 2 tanks = x1 is darker looking, while the other is brighter.

In the past 2 weeks fish have been dying - x4 Cichlids and x1 Snail. Because he didn't write down their names, I can't tell you what kind they are. But I can show you the photos of the one's who've recently died:

image-4039777769.jpg

image-893870765.jpg

After adding some 'Multi Cure' and not removing the carbon filter, he became sick.
image-1667801030.jpg

He has brought a few fish, but at three separate times. He originally brought x4 Cichlids, x1 Sucking Mouth Catfish and a snail (as the store named it). There is only x1 Sucker and x1 Cichlid remaining from the first purchase.

I must admit though, my partner cleans his tank up to 4 times a week - no full changes, only part water changes. I have explained about white spot and how his extra attention would be freaking them out.

Last night I took photos and was woken up by yelling and carrying on. My partner was standing over top of the fish tank, with a net and cleaning sponge.

Nothing new has been introduced to the old tank, only the new tank (which has it's own problem - but that's for another post/thread). My partner has tried everything we could think of and have searched online, this forum is my last hope.

The last x2 (original) remaining fish:

(Same fish - x2 photos)
image-473468512.jpg
image-3193343784.jpg

And

image-3240980003.jpg

Only x1 of these fish survived. They're both in separate tanks, but my partner found 'Bluey' floating on his side - with some weird goo hanging around it. There was another fish next to it, doing the same thing as Bluey. But, he is trying to nurse it back to health, in the tank full of bullies.

The fish found floating with Bluey:
image-1481840793.jpg

When the first snail died, it was replaced with this one. It hasn't moved in the past 48 hours. I will be creating another post for this one:
image-2518987817.jpg

- - - -

In need of help:

• What is my partner doing wrong?

• What can be done?

• Any and All Suggestions are Welcome

- - - -

www.twitter.com/missxstatic

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will be able to find a good answer here, but I do have some additional questions:

- How long has the tank been operational and what kind of filtration do they have?
- Cichlids are very sensitive to pH changes to the water. How were they added to the tanks? The floaty bag method is only good for balancing temperature.
- Do you have any water test kits or strips? I, among others, would highly recommend weekly testing of the water. It would also help determine possible issues.
- If you don't have any test kits/strips, most pet stores will test your water if you bring a sample.
- Are any of the decorations in the tank new or show new signs of wear? Often times decorations not designed for aquariums are painted with material that can be toxic to fish.

Those are a few initial things to check. It would be very helpful if you would be able to test the water and post the parameters (and test kits are cheaper than continuously restocking departed fish). I'm sure you will receive more feedback, but this should get you started.

Thank u for the welcome and for ur response :)

I have easy to look after goldfish, so I'm not good with all of these things and explaining them lol - I may add photos.

image-4030696317.jpg

He's had the tank since the end of January. There's x1 air stone, x1 flexible bubble (rod), x1 horizontal air/water filter, x1 vertical air/water filter and just removed today - x1 corner filter.

Filters & Hoses:

image-1582043150.jpg
image-2268885782.jpg
image-4141582208.jpg

When they were added to the tank, it was via the bag method. Once the temperature seemed right, he sort of tipped them out of the bag. The temperature is usually around 26°c and sits between 26°c to 28°c. He said that his pH levels have been alright and has been using a pH test kit, which also contains the strips. He struggled with it at first, until I asked "if that is a test kit, where is the stuff to fix it?" He immediately bought the Up & Down and finally got the levels right. The tank use to be tested once or twice a week, I'm not sure when the last test was conducted - but I will tell my partner to do it weekly.

My partner says it's suppose to be near the darker green - second or third from the bottom.
image-399330709.jpg

There has been no decorations placed as of recent, though there are some waiting. Hard to explain, I have taken photos to show what kind of decorations are being used and I can't see if any of the paint etc is coming off.

Decorations and Plants:

image-3194315904.jpg
image-1550843810.jpg

I hope that helps a bit more. As I mentioned previously, I'm no good with the names and explanation(s) of anything aquarium related.

I believe we found the problem. The pH levels you introduced the fish to are far below what is required for Malawi Cichlids. A pH of 7.4 to 8.6 is what they require and the level sheet you showed barely reaches the low end of the spectrum. I usually try to keep all mine around 8.2 personally, but some Cichlids thrive best at any number of ranges near there. By immediately sending the fish from normal pH levels to much lower than they are accustomed to, it likely sent them into pH shock that resulted in their death.

One of the most popular methods of acclimation, rather than temperature only, is referred to as drip-acclimation. This process, more or less, acts as a water transfusion, where water from the destination is gradually added and the container water is gradually removed. For more sensitive species (especially salt varieties) this is very important. For Malawi Cichlids, it may be a little overboard. Assuming the water parameters are close to one another (i.e. - 7.8 current, 8.1 destination), a 50/50 acclimation is usually ok. What I mean by 50/50 is that I empty half of the bag water into the sink and replace with the destination water and wait 1/2 hr. I personally repeat this 5x (2.5 hrs) and have never had a fish complain about the process. Once the fish is ready for the tank, it is best to net them and put them in, rather than pouring the bag (you could introduce parasites or other unwanted diseases to your water).

The temperature you maintain is fine, but may increase aggression (higher metabolism). The decoration that I had a concern with was the silver/black figure in the earlier photos. It looks like there is a piece chipped off of the wing, and the vividness of the silver/black leads me to believe it is not actually aquarium safe, though I would be guessing.

In regards to the snails, I really could not help. I only keep them for salt, as I have had issues with the freshwater variety in the past (one dies someplace where it can't be found and contaminates the water). It could be the same source-destination acclimation problem the Cichlids experienced, but I would still be guessing. Please don't take my advice as gospel, since opinions on levels do vary from person to person. I would always recommend double-checking any advice you receive from public forums and personally do the same. Best of luck with your tank.

You could add crushed coral to the filter in a mesh bag,keeps the ph at a satifactory level..wouldn't bother with the ph up/down chemicals to alter the ph,the less chems you use the better off you are..the crushed coral should work nice..also if your mate is gonna be serious about keeping Malawi Cichlids he's gonna have to consider a larger tank starting at a 40g& which ever tank is used you'll need double the filtration what's the the tanks size...imo...

Back
Top Bottom