Fish tank will not cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I made a help thing in here a month ago and now it’s been 2 months and I’m still getting 0.5 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Any help is appreciated

Is this a fish-in cycle or fishless?

I'm guessing that you're doing a fish-in cycle based on some of your other posts, so my advice to you is just to keep sticking with it. Keep doing water changes to keep the ammonia down to around .25 - .5 and dose with prime daily to help protect the fish.

Is this a fish-in cycle or fishless?

I'm guessing that you're doing a fish-in cycle based on some of your other posts, so my advice to you is just to keep sticking with it. Keep doing water changes to keep the ammonia down to around .25 - .5 and dose with prime daily to help protect the fish.

Fish in

Are the fish ok? If so I wouldn’t worry about it. Those test kits can cause more hassle than they’re worth. Buy the seachem ammonia alert and stick it in the tank. This measures harmful ammonia. I guarantee it will be in the safe zone.

Are the fish ok? If so I wouldn’t worry about it. Those test kits can cause more hassle than they’re worth. Buy the seachem ammonia alert and stick it in the tank. This measures harmful ammonia. I guarantee it will be in the safe zone.

I just wanted to say these ammonia alerts do work, but they need to replaced eventually. I think that's where the majority of bad reviews for this product come from. Also, they don't make a nitrite alert as far as i know, but nitrite is easier to test for and easier to discern on the color chart.

The ammonia color chart is a recipe for questioning your ability to see colors properly.

Tank Cycling

I made a help thing in here a month ago and now it’s been 2 months and I’m still getting 0.5 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Any help is appreciated

Hello Jar...

I'd suggest cycling the tank the old fashioned way. Set up the tank, add some floating plants and allow the tank to run without fish for a few days. In a week or so, add 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of water. Feed them just a little every day or two and remove and replace a third of the tank water every three days for three weeks. No water testing is necessary. At the end of three weeks, remove and replace half the water weekly for the life of the tank. Add fish slowly if you like, but continue to feed just a little and perform the 50 percent water changes weekly. No slacking!

Keep tank keeping simple and you'll be successful.

B

Back
Top Bottom