Fish tank with velvet. Help have plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water changes will get the nitrates down. Ultimately you need to get most of the plecos out of there. It's not a sustainable bioload.

Water changes will get the nitrates down. Ultimately you need to get most of the plecos out of there. It's not a sustainable bioload.

Tank has meds now. General cure. Ignore all that and do water change. My main concern now is how I save the rest of my fish?

What should I do right this second.

Tank has ich attack and general cure. First dose. Ich attack 2nd day and general cure 1 day.

Some fish had some white dots. Now look more like things coming out. See picture. Gill are red. Very red. They are not eating. And some fish look like they are having a bad time breathing. What u recommend? Could be 40 or 80. 40 it’s okay normally it’s 40 or under. 80 is bad. I been doing this test wrong all my life it seems. So I don’t know how bad it been before or good. Plecos been with me for like 6 months. So it can be a build up. But why all suddenly all the fish are dying? Is it because they had enough? Or the meds. Or both. I want need to safe the rest of my fish.

Afterward I would like to talk about why to many plecos are bad. Is it bcuz they r messy and eat and poop all day? I mean I got a koi pond with turtles and that’s all they do too. However my pond is 1000 gallons. But plzs just answer first what should I do right this mins. To save them.

IMG_4734.jpgView attachment 1View attachment 1

Tank has meds now. General cure. Ignore all that and do water change. My main concern now is how I save the rest of my fish?

What should I do right this second.

Tank has ich attack and general cure. First dose. Ich attack 2nd day and general cure 1 day.

Some fish had some white dots. Now look more like things coming out. See picture. Gill are red. Very red. They are not eating. And some fish look like they are having a bad time breathing. What u recommend? Could be 40 or 80. 40 it’s okay normally it’s 40 or under. 80 is bad. I been doing this test wrong all my life it seems. So I don’t know how bad it been before or good. Plecos been with me for like 6 months. So it can be a build up. But why all suddenly all the fish are dying? Is it because they had enough? Or the meds. Or both. I want need to safe the rest of my fish.

Afterward I would like to talk about why to many plecos are bad. Is it bcuz they r messy and eat and poop all day? I mean I got a koi pond with turtles and that’s all they do too. However my pond is 1000 gallons. But plzs just answer first what should I do right this mins. To save them.

View attachment 319021View attachment 1View attachment 1

I have my water changer tube in my hand and seriously just waiting for u. That how much these fish mean to me. I havnt correctly in days just thinking about all my fish dying. I thought I knew fish but now I realized I am a fool. Had this tank for 5 years. Some of these fish r 5 years old.

When in doubt change it out. Just make sure to treat and temp match.

Do I put any med back in? Angels are not doing so well and a rainbow has white stuff coming back their skin. Can tell if u notice the pic. Is 80ppm that bad. I know under 40 is the aim.

have you done a flashlight test for velvet, turn off the lights and shine a flashlight and check for gold dust?

Are the white spots really white, pretty flat, or have texture, vary in size? I don't know if it could be epistylis.

have you done a flashlight test for velvet, turn off the lights and shine a flashlight and check for gold dust?

Are the white spots really white, pretty flat, and all the same size? probably ich?

Or the white spots have texture on them and stick out, vary in size? maybe epistylis, I don't even know if that's possible or likely.

It’s started out like white spots that I could only see in the gills. The gill also look rid. Then the fish started to look pale. Color faded. And in some before they died they look like they were peeling. Like cotton. The plecos before they died Had like red circle patches. When I grab a napkin and touch the fish it was almost like bleeding. Near the tail also is darker red. Gill are red. I lost about 15 fish in about 3 days. Got like 30-40 left. I try ick attack thrilling it was ich or velvet. Thought it was velvet because of the faded color. In the dark the fish also looks faded. Is the gold dust shiny or something u can tell right of the back?. If that’s the case it wasn’t. The next day gill were red. I have them general cure. Next day is today. Now I am thinking is something else.

I know meds is hard on plecos so not sure if bcuz of the med they are bleeding. Or had red patch cause the med is burning them. But before the angel died today he looked super pale and how skin peeling off him. So I would say defiantly white spot sticking out.

My nitrate is 40 or 80. Pic attachment both color look the same to me... not sure if this cause it all. Or a new plant. IMG_5078.jpg

It’s started out like white spots that I could only see in the gills. The gill also look rid. Then the fish started to look pale. Color faded. And in some before they died they look like they were peeling. Like cotton. The plecos before they died Had like red circle patches. When I grab a napkin and touch the fish it was almost like bleeding. Near the tail also is darker red. Gill are red. I lost about 15 fish in about 3 days. Got like 30-40 left. I try ick attack thrilling it was ich or velvet. Thought it was velvet because of the faded color. In the dark the fish also looks faded. Is the gold dust shiny or something u can tell right of the back?. If that’s the case it wasn’t. The next day gill were red. I have them general cure. Next day is today. Now I am thinking is something else.

I know meds is hard on plecos so not sure if bcuz of the med they are bleeding. Or had red patch cause the med is burning them. But before the angel died today he looked super pale and how skin peeling off him. So I would say defiantly white spot sticking out.

My nitrate is 40 or 80. Pic attachment both color look the same to me... not sure if this cause it all. Or a new plant. View attachment 319023

IMG_5087.jpgIMG_5083.jpg

For sure. Something cotton. I am guessing general cure won’t fox the issue?

it's a confusing and hard thing to work through, the others are really helpful with advice. I don't know. Do you have any fish stores besides petco where you could get meds? Some local fish stores may have wider range of medications. They didn't have the exact product, but I was able to find something with the same ingredients until the right one arrived.

it's a confusing and hard thing to work through, the others are really helpful with advice. I don't know. Do you have any fish stores besides petco where you could get meds? Some local fish stores may have wider range of medications. They didn't have the exact product, but I was able to find something with the same ingredients until the right one arrived.

Locally. No only pet shops. We have a fish farm but they mostly just sell fish. And been disappointed with them recently. We have amazon and chewy who ship super fast. But our petco and pet supermarket do carry a lot of different things but suck at advice. :-(

Good morning. I havnt lose any fish today. But they look faded. Skin peeling. See pics. Should I continue with general cure or switch to em erythromycin? Would em erythromycin endanger my plecos? Do I do water change today? The general cure is wait 48 hours. Been 24 hours. But I did do 30 % change last night like the nitrate reading show 40 or 80. Thanks

good morning. I havnt lose any fish today. But they look faded. Skin peeling. See pics. Should i continue with general cure or switch to em erythromycin? Would em erythromycin endanger my plecos? Do i do water change today? The general cure is wait 48 hours. Been 24 hours. But i did do 30 % change last night like the nitrate reading show 40 or 80. Thanks

IMG_5090.jpgIMG_5088.jpg

Keep doing water changes, hold off on the e.m. See if it's a water parameters issue. You can start the e.m. in a couple of days if no improvements

Were any fish gasping at the top before?

Before everything started. No. They were all fine. Super hungry. Then I noticed some faded color and just thought they were old. Then they started dying. It was the roseline which were old so I thought it was normal. It was like one 2 weeks apart. That happen to 2. The other 2 and the bala sharks all die in one day and that’s when I started to get worry. And started staring and noticed the fin rid in the angels. And then the white spot and etc. that day I went to feed them and notice half were not interested. Honestly it all happen so fast. Now they are peeling. I never done meds before. Never needed to lucky. And I don’t know how med reaction to fish. Does it peel thier coat? Can it burn the plecos? Or all these symptoms r the disease getting worst. Honestly it’s all very confusing and frustrating.

How much should I do in water change? If I do a lot the general cure med will decrease. Which could be good if burning the pleco or bad if it was doing something and healing the fish.

[emoji19]

That general cure is barely strong enough to kill parasites, much less fish. Your fish are sick and dying because of either an illness or water parameters. They were dying before you medicated. Try to get the water parameters fixed with 1/3 water changes like Brookster suggested. Then if that doesn't work start the e.m. Eliminate the easy and cheap option first. I'm sorry your having this issue and no one can give you a definitive answer, but diagnosing problems like this is difficult, even for alot of experienced fish keepers. All I can say is, keep trying until we figure out what's happening

Ammonia burns will cause some of your symptoms. High nitrates will rapidly start to kill off fish within just a few days too

That could be it then. Honestly I always check ammonia, nitrite and ph. I normally skip nitrate. Why because before fish i had turtles inside the tank and they were very very dirty so it was impossible to make nitrate under control and I keep reading that ammonia and nitrite are the most important thing. Then the turtle got to big and we made a pond for them outside and change the tank to fish. Kept the same logic for the last 5 years That nitrate was really not that important. But of course when this started happening I check for it. Incorrectly without shaking the bottle enough. And now it’s about 40 or 80. Is 80 too high? I know it suppose to be under 40 for freshwater. I added prime. Suppose to make it non toxic. Not sure if that’s true or not.

Back
Top Bottom