Fish tank with velvet. Help have plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if it's passed on once they are cured tho, I don't see how if the whole tank is treated. That erythromycin is a gram negative antibiotic and it'll attack the infection anywhere in the tank

I don't know if it's passed on once they are cured tho, I don't see how if the whole tank is treated. That erythromycin is a gram negative antibiotic and it'll attack the infection anywhere in the tank

Just treated the tank with the med u suggested. I was holding on thinking the med were burning my plecos. Now I know better after seeing this video. I am giving it my all best. I need to read about this a lot more. If any survive. I want to get new ones in the future so I hope they want pass it on.

Can bacteria be born in a tank?

Is it really that easy to pass on to other tanks. By fish net. By food and etc?

Just treated the tank with the med u suggested. I was holding on thinking the med were burning my plecos. Now I know better after seeing this video. I am giving it my all best. I need to read about this a lot more. If any survive. I want to get new ones in the future so I hope they want pass it on.

Can bacteria be born in a tank?

Is it really that easy to pass on to other tanks. By fish net. By food and etc?

Yes that has Aloe Vera lotion.

“Stress Coat” type products which have aloe vera as the active ingredient. Aloe vera gel is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar which rapidly degrades in an aquarium and causes bacterial blooms. One of these products, API StressCoat Natural, claims to neutralize chlorine. It cannot neutralize chlorine and several Facebook group posts have had whole tanks killed by using this product as a chlorine conditioner.

https://apifishcare.com/product/stress-coat

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

Reference Water Conditioners.

**** I didn’t know any of this. It was recommend to me. I always use prime for water change but every now and then when fish seem stress I would add stress coat. In this case they r dying so I thought it would help. IMG_4742.jpg

I also add those vitamins. R u familiar with them?

I can’t believe people make things that will cause harm.

Yeah, I've learned that most of fish illness is very easy to pass on. Fish, plants, decor, filters, nets, you name it. And alot of the time the carrier won't show any signs of stuff

**** I didn’t know any of this. It was recommend to me. I always use prime for water change but every now and then when fish seem stress I would add stress coat. In this case they r dying so I thought it would help. View attachment 319044

I always used stress coat too, until I read that same article fishwonder posted. I just use tap water conditioner or prime now. That web site says prime does nothing to detoxify anything (except chlorine and chloramines)

Yes that has Aloe Vera lotion.

“Stress Coat” type products which have aloe vera as the active ingredient. Aloe vera gel is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar which rapidly degrades in an aquarium and causes bacterial blooms. One of these products, API StressCoat Natural, claims to neutralize chlorine. It cannot neutralize chlorine and several Facebook group posts have had whole tanks killed by using this product as a chlorine conditioner.

https://apifishcare.com/product/stress-coat

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

Reference Water Conditioners.

**** I didn’t know any of this. It was recommend to me. I always use prime for water change but every now and then when fish seem stress I would add stress coat. In this case they r dying so I thought it would help. View attachment 319044

**** I always use prime for water change

There is nothing wrong with Prime. It works just fine to remove Chlorine and Chloramine just like @charliebankston says. But that is really all it does, just like all other de-chlorinators. But remember, if you change 50% of your water, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are reduced by 50% too. So they all do the same thing.

I have no hope. 2nd day with meds. But still losing fish. Lost like 25.... at least point I won’t have any fish left in that tank.

I been reading about this bacteria. Some say it always in the water and attack when fish is stress. Other say it doesn’t.

Then it says it very contagious but others says it only affect stress fish.

Then I read it live without a host for 32 days. So how can it live without a host for 32 if it always in the water?

Have anyone had a personal experience with this?

I'm sorry your still losing fish. Fortunately I've never had to deal with columnaris, so I know even less than you now. And who knows? They same those same exact things about ich. And alot of the info out there is def contradictory

I feel that a lot of information for fish disease comes from studies on commercial fish/farms, and I keep in mind when interpreting for aquariums. if they mean it's always somewhere in a 1,000 mile river, or a 150 gallon puddle. I don't know if these are legit.

https://academic.oup.com/femsle/article/362/4/1/535756
survive (21 to >100 days) in FW containing tilapia mucus

https://veterinaryresearch.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1297-9716-44-27
This has alot of stuff and I haven't read the whole thing. They discuss healthy carrier fish from a previous outbreak, I assume they could spread it, but they don't mention if antibiotics were administered, I doubt it the citation references rainbow trout. I'm not sure if this is why they say a fish infected will always have it...maybe untreated fish? I really don't know, I just wanted to pass the article along.

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/antibiotics-work-kill-bacteria-3121635/
This says antibiotics kill bacteria. I don't have a science-y article to back that up, though it may be an unending effort.

I'm really sorry about your fish. I don't have experience with fish or columnaris. You just do the best that you can.

I feel that a lot of information for fish disease comes from studies on commercial fish/farms, and I keep in mind when interpreting for aquariums. if they mean it's always somewhere in a 1,000 mile river, or a 150 gallon puddle. I don't know if these are legit.

https://academic.oup.com/femsle/article/362/4/1/535756
survive (21 to >100 days) in FW containing tilapia mucus

https://veterinaryresearch.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1297-9716-44-27
This has alot of stuff and I haven't read the whole thing. They discuss healthy carrier fish from a previous outbreak, I assume they could spread it, but they don't mention if antibiotics were administered, I doubt it the citation references rainbow trout. I'm not sure if this is why they say a fish infected will always have it...maybe untreated fish? I really don't know, I just wanted to pass the article along.

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/antibiotics-work-kill-bacteria-3121635/
This says antibiotics kill bacteria. I don't have a science-y article to back that up, though it may be an unending effort.

I'm really sorry about your fish. I don't have experience with fish or columnaris. You just do the best that you can.

Thank you so much this was a interested read. I am trying to understand what happen. If it was the new fish/plant. If it was my nitrate to high and it got them stress.

Honestly I doubt it was the nitrate because I never really check it that often so i been really lucky for 6 years or it’s something else. Ammonia and nitrite I do check.

I just honestly don’t want this to happen to me ever again. It such a bad experience. One day everything is perfect. And the next there 4 dead fish and just like that in 4 days u got like 30 dead fish. My heart really broke today as my oldest fish passed away. My rainbow shark. He was 6 years old. :-(.

He was in my very first tank with the turtles. I had split my first tank for half turtles and half fish.

It been sucking to wake up in the mornings n wonder who will die next. And now I got a feeling the only fish that will survive will be the koi fish I got at the fish farm.

Funny thing is I got a 1000 gallon pond with 4 1.5 foot koi’s. So I got the koi for him to grow 6-7 inches and go to the pond...... now if he survive. I will be scared to put him in. And he seem fine.

I am still putting the treatment and doing water change. Until I save some or they all go away.

By the way guys. Merry Christmas. [emoji319] and thanks everyone you guys have been really supportive and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom