fish TB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my fish have tuberculosis. They are randomly dying. I've tried tons of cures. I sanitized the tank and all fish are in a hospital tank? Are the fish goners? Should I get all new fish? Is it worth it to try to put the fish back into the tank after its cycled or would I be back to where I started off. 36 gallon fresh water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to set the tank up soon. New fish or try to add back the old fish?

Probably need more details on what you were seeing with signs of infection and treatment methods tried? And how the old fish are looking?

Fish were in my possession for less than a year. No symptoms other thank one fish randomly dying a week. Ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all good and never fluctuated to much. It got to the point where I was watching my black neon tetra and he all of a sudden stopped swimming and sunk to the bottom. Fish were dying before my eyes with no explanation. I tried API general cure, API ick cure, jungle fungus cure, melafix, and aquarium salt. Nothing worked. Then Fish were fine for 2 weeks than one would die one day and one would die the next. Then it got to the point where no fish have died for about a month so I went ahead and added more fish which I quarantined for about 2 1/2 weeks first than about 1 week letter the cycle happened again and fish were dying every few days.

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME A COUPLE YEARS AGO! I used these two treatments, Melafix and Pimafix.

I ended up using those with aquarium salts which decreased the death rate and then did a 75% water change. Didn't have a gravel cleaner back then so I just rinsed all of the gravel. Seemed to have done the job. Haven't had a death like that since. PM me for the specifics if you need them :)

I don't know how to send a pm. All the surviving fish are in a hospital tank. The main tank has been sanitized by letting everything dry out for a while. I'm going to set the tank up soon. Should I try pimafix? I already tried melafix. Or should I just get all new fish. I would hate to have to do that.

I don't know how to send a pm....

On the mobile app, in this case, scroll up to the person you wish to send the PM (private message) to. Click on their avatar. The user's profile will be displayed. In the top right corner will be an icon that looks like an envelope. Click on it. A new screen will appear. Type away and click the Send button.

Fish were in my possession for less than a year. No symptoms other thank one fish randomly dying a week. Ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all good and never fluctuated to much. It got to the point where I was watching my black neon tetra and he all of a sudden stopped swimming and sunk to the bottom. Fish were dying before my eyes with no explanation. I tried API general cure, API ick cure, jungle fungus cure, melafix, and aquarium salt. Nothing worked. Then Fish were fine for 2 weeks than one would die one day and one would die the next. Then it got to the point where no fish have died for about a month so I went ahead and added more fish which I quarantined for about 2 1/2 weeks first than about 1 week letter the cycle happened again and fish were dying every few days.

I looked this up and it's hard to say. If TB then best to disinfect and start completely again.

However external lesions / sunken belly / twisted body / wasting away or something like that could also be signs.

At a guess I would go with something in the water chemistry that they didn't like or columnaris which could take them out fast or slow (although lesions / colour loss could be seen).

It's pretty hard unfortunately if you weren't seeing any other signs. Water chemistry sounds an odd one but I had a school of platies that never did well and lost them one by one. Mollies on the other hand are fine so perhaps I just got bad stock.

Yes. So should I completely restock and start over just in case. The fish a are still in the hospital tank should I even try to get them back into the main Tank or is it not worth it?

Not sure, with mine I only had a couple left of the original stock left so after I medicated with Melafix and Pimafix and did the huge water change they were fine. Just my experience

<g.m.t.a>

Ok. I'm going to try to treat the hospital tank. I'm afraid that I'm going to invest $50 in new fish and the old fish have been doing good for a while so I decide to put them with the new ones and then they all get sick.

Is it worth the risk?

My LFS told me to do 1 tsp of salt per gallon we day for 3 days then let That sit for 2 weeks

Yes. So should I completely restock and start over just in case. The fish a are still in the hospital tank should I even try to get them back into the main Tank or is it not worth it?

I think at this point I would start over after reading through.

I'm dubious on the TB tbh without more analysis. But particularly if open sores on the fish, then not worth the risk.

I think that would be my only other comment to be comfortable in knowing what triggered this eg a poor fish from shop. Even columnaris would have a trigger somewhere since it's always present in the water.

I'm setting up the tank tonight. I have some bacteria Ina. Bottle I'm going to use also I want to add my 3 ballon mollies that have only been in the tank hospital tank with the "sick fish" for a day or so so I feel like that would be ok wish me luck. The if all goes well (hopefully) I can add new fish. I would hate to have to buy all new fish.

5 of my most healthy fish are in the tank. They look stressed but that's normal. I won't know anything until a like a month.

Back
Top Bottom