Fish that I want in my 10 gallon freshwater Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but i not only successfully kept feeder shrimp, but BRED feeder shrimp...in a half gallon.

how many people on this forum will tell you THAT is impossible.

Feeder shrimp is what I buy at my lfs (cheaper then petco/Petsmart and always better quality, nice, plump, very active, eating up storm. Among them they are many pregnant ones (can see bellies full of eggs). Now I can't say we've had shrimp babies, but the eggs are no longer in the bellies and I'm seeing little guys here and there. My tanks are not easy to spot or count little critters. They are heavily planted and have caves, driftwood with mosses and tons of hiding places these guys love to live in, sonI will not claim that I'm breeding feeder shrimp, but mine are definitely doing very well and the youngsters I'm seeing have had to come from somewhere, and I didn't put them there. The only thing the females were REALLY full of eggs and I'm seeing just few small guys. So not sure what happened to the rest. Don't think they got sucked into an intake (running weak filters for my bettas just to have some movement).

I think that ghost shrimp are the best way to start with shrimp. They are cheap and you can get them at any fish store. I started with a few in my 20 gallon that were maybe .5 inch long and now I have two giants 2+ inches. RCS are great too but they are somewhat harder to find. Whatever you choose you should put a group of at lest 5 in the tank.

Goodness! Cherry Shrimp did that???? What's your secret??

I am fairly certain they are a malawa shrimp although I'm not exactly sure. As for how I did it? I haven't the slightest idea. Before my big change I had seen at most 15 shrimp at any given time I just kept finding more and more to pull out. It was kind of crazy.

Ok would you mind sharing with us what your tank conditions are like, and what plants/stuff you keep in it?

Ok would you mind sharing with us what your tank conditions are like, and what plants/stuff you keep in it?

Certainly!

pH - 7.8 - 8.0
Lots of driftwood
Some Lace rock

Plants:
Java fern
Christmas Moss
Water Sprite
Myrio Filligree
Dwarf Hair Grass
Hammerleaf Aponogeton
Amazon Sword
Ruby Melon Sword
Unknown aponogeton

Fish:
German blue rams (hunted the shrimplets but had a hard time catching them)
Red Australe Killifish
Guppies
BN Pleco x2
Orinoco Angel Pleco
Swordtails

Inverts:
Pond snails - hundreds
Assassin snails

Weekly to Bi weekly water changes
Six hour long on/off light cycles

The shrimp seemed to breed MUCH better when I had gravel, although I am 90% certain that it's only because the babies could safely duck into the gravel when fish came by. It could also be a lack of algae in my newer tank. Since I switched to sand I haven't seen many shrimplets at all.

They seemed to love the Christmas Moss wall I was growing over all of the other plants with the water sprite coming in a distant second.

The population explosion happened over a three month period. The newest batch of shrimp from before the upgrade are starting to breed now so I might see another population explosion before too much longer.

Certainly!

pH - 7.8 - 8.0
Lots of driftwood
Some Lace rock

Plants:
Java fern
Christmas Moss
Water Sprite
Myrio Filligree
Dwarf Hair Grass
Hammerleaf Aponogeton
Amazon Sword
Ruby Melon Sword
Unknown aponogeton

Fish:
German blue rams (hunted the shrimplets but had a hard time catching them)
Red Australe Killifish
Guppies
BN Pleco x2
Orinoco Angel Pleco
Swordtails

Inverts:
Pond snails - hundreds
Assassin snails

Weekly to Bi weekly water changes
Six hour long on/off light cycles

The shrimp seemed to breed MUCH better when I had gravel, although I am 90% certain that it's only because the babies could safely duck into the gravel when fish came by. It could also be a lack of algae in my newer tank. Since I switched to sand I haven't seen many shrimplets at all.

They seemed to love the Christmas Moss wall I was growing over all of the other plants with the water sprite coming in a distant second.

The population explosion happened over a three month period. The newest batch of shrimp from before the upgrade are starting to breed now so I might see another population explosion before too much longer.

Thanks for sharing! I'm assuming this is a pretty good size tank? You have mentioned about "getting them out". At which point do you make that call? Sorry for "stretching" this thread but it really is very interesting to me and extremely relevantz.

To get back to at least a couple of the OP's questions, I would advise against neons in a ten gallon. The would be fine bio load-wise, but they need more room to swim. If you have guppies, they will stick the tank for you in no time:).
If you decide you don't want ghost shrimp (aesthetics are your call), nerite snails are a nice option, in my opinion. Cherry shrimp are my personal favorites so far because of how active they are. I jumped into RCS with no previous shrimp experience and they've done well. I just made sure my tank was completely cycled and added a lot of live plants before getting them. RCS can be expensive if you buy them from a LFS, but very reasonable if you buy them from someone else with a colony. There are a lot of people on this forum who sell them.

To get back to at least a couple of the OP's questions, I would advise against neons in a ten gallon. The would be fine bio load-wise, but they need more room to swim. If you have guppies, they will stick the tank for you in no time:).
If you decide you don't want ghost shrimp (aesthetics are your call), nerite snails are a nice option, in my opinion. Cherry shrimp are my personal favorites so far because of how active they are. I jumped into RCS with no previous shrimp experience and they've done well. I just made sure my tank was completely cycled and added a lot of live plants before getting them. RCS can be expensive if you buy them from a LFS, but very reasonable if you buy them from someone else with a colony. There are a lot of people on this forum who sell them.

Realized you have only male guppies - these obviously wont be having babies any time soon. I know there are a lot of nano species that do well in tanks your size if you're looking for a school. I don't have personal experience with them, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with suggestions. Pygmy cories would work as a bottom feeder and you would have room for small shoal (plus cories have great personalities!)

With all do respect I disagree:) I love my ghost shrimp! They add very little to bio load and yes, you may need to supplement feed depending on what you have in your tank! My ghosts are tons of fun to watch:)
I agree with you! At first I wasn't to keen on the ghost shrimp, and now I adore them. We have 5 in our tank, and they just mind their own without bothering anyone. I love love love watching them eat since you can pretty much see the food inside them- so cool!

Mr 951socal, respectfully, this is a FRIENDLY FORUM, one that welcomes people of all ages, who have one thing in common: their love of this hobby! It is not intended to bash anyone, nor harass for having made mistakes. I've been on it for couple of months and have found tons of useful information that has helped me get my hobby off the ground. I'm not so sure that looking down from ones "high horse" is the attitude to gain many friends. But then... why join a forum????? Yes, there is a bunch of teens on here, but there are also people in there 30's, 40's, 50's and up... And so what??? It doesn't matter, as our common denominator is our hobby! Whether the novice stages or advanced ... People on here love to help one another. Most of us have benefitted from reading each others posts and joining is totally optional. There are some ground rules on here that all of us have agreed to abide by in order to make this forum a friendly and nonthreatening place to get good info and learn. Yes, some of our members have the expertise to take tone of mentors but for the most part they do not! They rather suggest or share their experience.! Your level of confidence is very much appreciated and even more would appreciate you holding your conceited opinions to yourself. Young Person (Man I assume by the high level of testosterone boiling in your posts) , please, trust me, the MASTERS degree you are working on is just a tip of the iceberg in the world of science and academia. Sometimes it is good to step back and look at yourself with just a little humbleness. Hope you don't take offense. Sometimes we can really benefit from the experiences of the elders:)!

Back
Top Bottom