Fish that play with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I just switched from an UGF w/ gravel to sand and am looking for a community fish that likes to dig in the sand to keep it aerated and such and just because it looks cool :) I know that there are some Tang. Cichlids that really like sand but that is my plan for my 125g when I get it set up. Right now I am just looking for something small that will do well with others unlike the cichlids. Thanks!

Forgot to say--This is for a 20 gallon tall

Hrmm. The only ones I know of are cichlids, although you are not limited to the Africans. Theres a whole bunch of SA geophagus cichlids, and a coupla dwarf ones (microgeophagus) as well.

Depending on your fishkeeping experience, I'd recommend Stingrays. I'd go with Hystrix or Motoro's. Hystrix are often times cheaper and easier to find, but Motoros are oftern hardier. There are few things better than watching your stingray (or couple of stingrays) blowing through the sand searching for food. Well, maybe having your tamed stingray take worms from your hand might be better :D . There are several sites available for information on stingrays. Be sure to do your research.

Derek

Get some Red Hump Geophagus. We had three of the before we switched tanks and they dug up the sand like there was no tomorrow.

they have special gills so they take huge mouth fulls of sand and sift thru it for food.

18 out of 24 hours in a day they dig thru sand.... this is assuming you have the very fine sand.

not sure if you mean you have a cichlid tank or not....My suggestion would be for a regular community tank.

I have a community tank with sand, and my horseface loaches spend most of their time burrowing around (and way down) in it. They are under the sand most of the time, in fact. They like to rest with only their horse heads sticking out--it's very cute. I would imagine that different kinds of loaches might do the same thing.

I still stir the sand when I do water changes, though.

Allivymar said:
Hrmm. The only ones I know of are cichlids, although you are not limited to the Africans. Theres a whole bunch of SA geophagus cichlids, and a coupla dwarf ones (microgeophagus) as well.

All of those would be pretty aggressive wouldn't they? I actually could get rid of my fish that I have in it (Only 3 tetras, 2 danios and a cory) and switch to a cichlid tank. Hmmm, I will have to think about that but need to find a fish to work first! Right now my fish are really really stressed so I think I will let them calm down before I move them if need be. Thanks for you help. Keep any suggestions coming!

Stingrays--
Do those things get HUGE? I was always under the impression that they got quite large and with the limited floor space of my tank they might not be too happy. Correct me if wrong though, I am very much a newbie. Thanks a lot!

my horseface loaches spend most of their time burrowing around
Look into Kuhlii loaches--mine are always in among the gravel--always low. When I bought them, I was told they like small particle substrate so they can burrow.
OR
If you go with cichlids RESEARCH first! Red Hump Geophagus are nice--used to have one, but the Mbuna were too much for him (did not research that one :oops: ). Speaking of Mbuna cichlids (Lake Malawi), they excavate all the time. They move everything--gravel, sea shells, whatever they can get in their mouths :roll: ! I just started a Tang tank--the brichardi move the sand, but their mouths are not that big--I still need to move the sand bi-weekly. I also bought shell dwellers--they move sand, but once it's piled up at the ends of the tank, it sits there and I have to move it.
This will be your biggest problem. IMHO, no mater what cichlid you get, once they move the substrate to their satisfaction, they will not move it back (and you will have to move it :wink: ).

If you want to keep a non-cichlid tropical tank, go with fish that burrow. Just be prepared to “help out” when needed. Also, I was given great advice from TankGirl—put a sponge (prefilter) on your filter intake, so sand will not get sucked up.

geophagus arent very aggresive.
Agreed, but they will eat what fits in their mouths!
I would not mix community fish with cichlids (4" and up)--rams and dwarfs are fine, but they are not going to dig for you :!:

fearlessfisch said:
not sure if you mean you have a cichlid tank or not....My suggestion would be for a regular community tank.

I have a community tank with sand, and my horseface loaches spend most of their time burrowing around (and way down) in it. They are under the sand most of the time, in fact. They like to rest with only their horse heads sticking out--it's very cute. I would imagine that different kinds of loaches might do the same thing.

I still stir the sand when I do water changes, though.

Horseface sounds really cool, just wish they didn't get to be 9". Hmmm, wish there was something like a cichlid multi. that wasn't so pissed off at all the other fish :) Might just have to get a mating pair of those ditch the cory on the bottom (They wouldn't mess with the guys up top). We will see, but I like the idea of loaches--looking through to find something that stays smaller.

Ack! Horseface loaches get to be nine inches?!!!!

When I was stocking, the guy at the fish store said, "Hey, try these!" They were so cute that I bought them. I had no idea they'd grow to nine inches!

Oh dear....may be time for some long-term planning...

smilla4 said:
Are you using the UGF w/sand?

No sir, ditched the whole set up except the powerhead which I have to make a little current to try to stir the water up a little bit.

Might just have to get a mating pair of those ditch the cory on the bottom (They wouldn't mess with the guys up top).
Please explain. Who will be mating? Who are the guys on top (that you are assuming will not be messed with)? :wink:

Also, have you checked your water parameters to see what fish will be best suited for this tank?

Menagerie said:
Might just have to get a mating pair of those ditch the cory on the bottom (They wouldn't mess with the guys up top).
Please explain. Who will be mating? Who are the guys on top (that you are assuming will not be messed with)? :wink:

Lol, yeah, I need to stop writing partial thoughts that would only be understood of you were in my head and heard the other half! For a mating pair I was talking about getting some shell dweller cichlids like multies or ocellatus. The guys up top are just 2 zebra danios and 3 tetras.

my otto is digging a tunnel in the sand underneath a rock right now.

SilviaGTO said:
my otto is digging a tunnel in the sand underneath a rock right now.

Is that a normal characteristic of them? I have been having trouble finding information about certain fish.

What do you guys use to figure out information of fish? Google failed me :-(

well correction, i just found out hes a chinese algae eater.

i dont know if its normal or not, but its fun to watch.

What do you guys use to figure out information of fish? Google failed me
Go to the Fish and Plant Profile forum--there is a thread about where people go to find fish info!

For a mating pair I was talking about getting some shell dweller cichlids like multies or ocellatus. The guys up top are just 2 zebra danios and 3 tetras.
That may work--double check everyone's pH and hardness needs :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom