fish wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What did you clean with? Did you remember the dechlorinator?

I am sorry to hear about your losses.

Don't clean or change your filter pad, gently rinse in treated tap water only if needed. Also should not clean filter and tank and or gravel/sand and water all at once either.

You need to keep the water good for the Cories.

What are your readings for your water parameters now after the water change?

i just used regulur water and the tank was half filled when i started to put the plants back in

What did you clean with? Did you remember the dechlorinator?

i took all the plants out and swished them in sink water and i did put prime in after all my glofish died to save the cories

I am sorry to hear about your losses.

ya its sad but its a learning experince for me

Don't clean or change your filter pad, gently rinse in treated tap water only if needed. Also should not clean filter and tank and or gravel/sand and water all at once either.

i have a bio wheel filteration system so i just clean the filter out in the sink since the bio wheel has all the good bactria on it

You need to keep the water good for the Cories.

i no im trying my dad told me cat fish can live thru mostly anything bc there a very strong fish so thats why they are still alive and the glofish died

What are your readings for your water parameters now after the water change?

i plan to do 3 water changes today so tonight i will test the tank i want to let it settle after screwing with it for the last hour

ForumRunner_20130411_211613.jpg
the 3 tests i did after the 3rd water change today ammonia left 1.0 nitrite middle 0 nitrate right 0

I'm sorry about your glofish. If you feel your corys seem very stressed you can add some aquarium salt that helps lower stress levels and promote healing. But only add one tsp per gallon any more and it will have the oppisite effect. Keep up with the water changes and be carefull not to overdose on prime. It can be done.

there not eating right now after this nexted water change tonight and a cap full of prime should do the trick and no more ammonia in th tank

there not eating right now after this nexted water change tonight and a cap full of prime should do the trick and no more ammonia in th tank

How many gallons are you changing out? Unless your changing 20gallons I would'nt put a capfull in. Might do more harm than good. Also prime only has a temparary effect, after 24hours that ammonia will be back. You cant just keep dumping in prime it'll hurt your fish. I would suggest only adding in the amount of prime of the water your changing.

i no but i do it for the othere stuff in.the water not the ammonia

When adding a dechlor to a tank that is being refilled, you should dose for the entire tank volume, not just the amount you are adding, unless you are adding dechlor to the water prior to adding. The higher amount is needed if added to the tank to ensure that all the new water makes contact with the dechlor.
When ammonia levels are high, doing 50% water changes may not be enough. I would remove as much water as possible to get the ammonia out. Leave just enough to cover the fish.
Cleaning in tank ornaments in a tank that isn't established isn't really a good idea, as any bacteria that are starting to establish on them may be removed. Every solid surface in that tank will eventually be populated with nitrifying bacteria, and become part of the filtration. Fast growing plants such as hornwort will also help.
In a situation such as this, cleaning all the gravel is a good idea. In fact, I have never considered a total gravel cleaning to be any kind of a concern. Far better to remove a few bacteria and get the detritus out of the tank before it breaks down. Nitrifying bacteria basically glues itself to a surface and does not come off easily, but, this idea that gravel cleaning removes bacteria, has taken on a life of it's own.

Oh yeah dont add a full cap of prime to the 25% of water you change. Can be very bad, just a drop or 2 is good.

Just an FYI, you can dose up to 5 times over the suggested amount of Prime without any harmful affects. Depending on run off from rain or snow and your water treatment facility adding extra cleansing agents because of the excess water from said runoff, I suggest to people to use twice the dosing amount.

I would suggest that you maintain daily water changes to get that ammonia down. Don't use anything but Prime to treat the water. The ammonia is your main problem and the only way you're going to resolve it is by doing changes daily and light gravel cleaning.

after doing one waterchange this morning i gone down from around 1-2 ppm to .50 ppm so i should go down more tonight and i will add more prime tonight right

Back
Top Bottom