Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It comes up pretty often at auction so must be possible to grow it. Tank is looking nice - I like the theme and lay-out.

I think that is planted tank end-point on growth? First it's all about getting any growth at all; then wild growth and lots of pruning every weekend; eventually a nice, slow-growing tank?!

Hang in there dela, mines flowering for the second time and it’s AMAZING! [emoji76]

Can’t wait to see the progress fish [emoji106]

I’m having a small algae issue right now. I’ve recently noticed this algae (at least I think it is) growing along a portion of my substrate.

vOl6lVT.jpg

Can anybody ID this?

I’m having a small algae issue right now. I’ve recently noticed this algae (at least I think it is) growing along a portion of my substrate.

vOl6lVT.jpg

Can anybody ID this?

Looks like staghorn maybe? Is the flow a little low in that part of the tank? I’ve read somewhere staghorn hates flow but I’m not sure if that’s correct

It could be a type of cladophora. Nonetheless, I would start removing as much as possible. May include siphoning out some of the substrate.

Looks like staghorn maybe? Is the flow a little low in that part of the tank? I’ve read somewhere staghorn hates flow but I’m not sure if that’s correct

It could be a type of cladophora. Nonetheless, I would start removing as much as possible. May include siphoning out some of the substrate.

I’ve been sort of neglectful with cleaning the filter, so that it something that I’m going to do today. The CO2 reactor will be taken off and that will help to increase flow as well. I’ll just use an atomizer temporarily. In terms of possible Clado (it appears to look like that from Internet pics) removal, I’ll start that right away, along with H2O2 and Excel treatment.

It seems like the clado has been eliminated, or at least most of it. The male Apisto hasn’t been eating the past few days. I’m afraid that his days are close to an end. I can’t keep finicky fish whatsoever, it seems. It doesn’t surprise me though due to my local water quality. Maybe I’ll just skip centerpiece fish and go with another shoal of some type. I’m thinking one of small Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, small Tetras, Corydoras, etc. I’d like to try some hardy shrimp again one day. Aren’t Amano Shrimp relatively hardy? On the plant side of things, growth has been slow, but nice. Old Java Fern leaves (from previous tanks) are starting to die back, but new leaves are looking good. I’m going to add a few more plants to fill in the sides and background—no rescaping though, just additions! I’m thinking of Anubias coffeefolia, Echinodorus “Green Ozelot”, Narrow Leaf Sag, Crinum calamistratum, and a variety of Crypts.

Amanos are like cockroaches. Mine go through pH/CO2 swings, H2O2/glut treatments. Would not do that with the smaller shrimp.

Those sound great plants! Straight green colours or any variations - reds, etc?

I was thinking about Crypt petchii and Crypt wendtii “Brown”. I’ll probably add a few more of the Red Wendtii to fill it in. [emoji846]

Amanos are like cockroaches. Mine go through pH/CO2 swings, H2O2/glut treatments. Would not do that with the smaller shrimp.

That’s good to hear. I’ll give them a try!

I have some pesky snails that have been damaging some Crypt and Java Fern leaves. I sent out an order for some Assassin Snails to eliminate the problem. Anyway, here’s a nice photo of the NL Java Fern pearling:

kXWZX

I upped the lighting slightly, and the Java Fern started to go mad.

I have a few plants on the way. Corkscrew Val, Crypt petchii, Fissidens fontanus, AR “mini” (not sure how it’ll do with low lighting, but it will be a nice freebie to try since it is a slow-grower), and Anubias nana “Pinto” will be added to the scape. For those who have had Fissidens, does it look better on branches, or in one large clump? I have an extra piece of manzanita hanging around that I could use.

I’m not sure yet, but I did have good luck with Italian Val a while back. Did you use Excel or some type of glut in the tank?

True, I was using that and it may not have adjusted. The other vals I could get to adjust. (Although I’m still suspicious the fish took it out - from memory seemed to always look ok and then within a week just disappear, even with dropping back the glut dosing for new plants).

Added some Anubias nana “Pinto” today. It’s one of my favorite plants!

4e878qc.jpg

Last edited:
I’m closely watching the new Anubias. A couple leaves have melted back, but I’m hoping it’s just from adjusting to new tank conditions. I’ve been promising FTS shots for two months now, so it’s about time that I do that. This tank has a long way to go still, but I’m happy with the progress so far. New NL Java Fern leaves are starting to pop up more frequently. I have the Hydor Nano 240 pointing directly at the CO2 diffuser, so that is helping.

4plkhyR.jpg

GMURTAE.jpg

6taQe7M.jpg

k9orDwo.jpg

6CV9lcw.jpg

ajjNLz8.jpg

cSyA0fU.jpg

0UsH6BU.jpg

vFKfW3z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom