Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Needle leaf + Driftwood = amazing! I'm a big fan of needle leaf. Looks soo dam good in wood dominated scapes.

I agree! Sometimes the most simple leaf shapes look the best. With the added Needle Leaf, a greater sense of height will be achieved--something that I won't get with Thor's Hammer. I'm very intrigued by the Threadleaf though. It only gets to be 6-7 inches max, so it'll look great in the midground, and it won't take away from the Buce either. From what I understand, it has the smallest Microsorum leaf width that there is, so it is great for nano tanks.

I glued down some Buce that had not stuck to the driftwood, and moved the Anubias nana "pinto" to a new location. Its new leaf does not have the pinto appearance, but it is growing new roots, which is a good sign that it'll eventually regain its past form. I put it in a crevice that is close to the substrate so that the roots will eventually make their way into it (since the substrate is more nutrient rich). I'm shipping out the ferns that I won't be keeping on Tuesday and I should receive my new ones later this week. I'll provide a picture update after the next water change.

I shipped off some Microsorum today. I've planted some Crypt wendtii "Red" and some Crypt parva over the last few days. Just waiting on the new Microsorum, plus a regular Anubias nana.

I shipped off some Microsorum today. I've planted some Crypt wendtii "Red" and some Crypt parva over the last few days. Just waiting on the new Microsorum, plus a regular Anubias nana.

Have you used anubias nana petite before? I'm getting some for the Ada build but I'm not sure if I should get a few or just get one and grow it out? Is it a really slow grower or can I expect it to be medium like Java ferns in high light and co2?

Have you used anubias nana petite before? I'm getting some for the Ada build but I'm not sure if I should get a few or just get one and grow it out? Is it a really slow grower or can I expect it to be medium like Java ferns in high light and co2?

Yes, I actually have it in this tank right now. For me, it grows about as slowly as the Buce does. I did have it in high lighting at one time and it grew faster. The more light, the faster it grows. Buce on the other hand seems to grow at the same speed in low light and high light. I'd say get a couple and shade it. It is very algae prone in high lighting. I even have mine shaded a bit.

Yes, I actually have it in this tank right now. For me, it grows about as slowly as the Buce does. I did have it in high lighting at one time and it grew faster. The more light, the faster it grows. Buce on the other hand seems to grow at the same speed in low light and high light. I'd say get a couple and shade it. It is very algae prone in high lighting. I even have mine shaded a bit.

I'm trying mine shaded as well. New leaves ok but old leaves get GSA (seems better after now shaded and lifting phosphates but early to tell). Worse one for GSA in tank (well buce is but that's terribly slow growing in mine).

Slow grower but I'm happy with growth compared to the buce in mine.

Cheers for the advice guys :) I've only got about 2-3 spots where I plan to put it. To be honest the way I'm setting up the tank most plants will be in shade from the bolbitis

I've always wanted to try buce, it's gained so much popularity in scapes these days. Would be rude not to try it!

I ordered the Eheim 2215. It's been about 10 years since I've ordered a filter, so it was an odd feeling. With the new filter, the flow rate will be 163 GPH; Eheim is pretty trustworthy when it comes to their numbers, plus the filter is rated for tanks up to 93 gallons. The flow rate will be about 50 GPH higher than before, which will only help. The 2217 model would've been overkill for this tank specifically. Anyway, sometime next week, I'll transition filters and install the CO2 reactor. I'm hoping for a smooth transition. All of the old biological media will go into the new filter, but I will be dosing Prime for a few days to prevent any fish causalities.

I ordered the Eheim 2215. It's been about 10 years since I've ordered a filter, so it was an odd feeling. With the new filter, the flow rate will be 163 GPH; Eheim is pretty trustworthy when it comes to their numbers, plus the filter is rated for tanks up to 93 gallons. The flow rate will be about 50 GPH higher than before, which will only help. The 2217 model would've been overkill for this tank specifically. Anyway, sometime next week, I'll transition filters and install the CO2 reactor. I'm hoping for a smooth transition. All of the old biological media will go into the new filter, but I will be dosing Prime for a few days to prevent any fish causalities.

Sounds good [emoji106] can never have too much flow of u ask me! (Well to a point.... Lol) what kind of reactor did you get? You won't regret switching to a reactor, mines been great!

Regarding flow rates, the SunSun I put in my tank last year is rated at 265 GPH (prolly tested empty) which is PLENTY for my 20g. I removed the spray bar to give a more directed flow across the tank. Plus, the nozzle is about an inch away from the CO2 diffuser and the result is an annoying yet effective mist. The micro bubbles help show flow and water distribution throughout the tank. I only have it on for 4 hours though. Never made the leap for a getting/building a reactor because getting CO2 into the water has not been an issue; getting too much, on the other hand, has been on a few occasions.

Regarding flow rates, the SunSun I put in my tank last year is rated at 265 GPH (prolly tested empty) which is PLENTY for my 20g. I removed the spray bar to give a more directed flow across the tank. Plus, the nozzle is about an inch away from the CO2 diffuser and the result is an annoying yet effective mist. The micro bubbles help show flow and water distribution throughout the tank. I only have it on for 4 hours though. Never made the leap for a getting/building a reactor because getting CO2 into the water has not been an issue; getting too much, on the other hand, has been on a few occasions.

In my case, the micro bubbles have become a pain. Plus, getting that clear CO2 lining out of the tank will be nice. It is a $57 investment (total) if you ever want to buy online from NilocG. Not that bad of a price for someone to build it for you.

Sounds good [emoji106] can never have too much flow of u ask me! (Well to a point.... Lol) what kind of reactor did you get? You won't regret switching to a reactor, mines been great!

It is a Rex Griggs CO2 reactor. I am tired of the micro bubbles. It impedes the view at times. Concerning the flow, you are correct! It is vitally important in high light, high tech tanks (as you and Fresh know). In low tech, not as much, but it does have importance in all planted tanks that use pressurized CO2 and fertilization methods. I'll still have the nano powerhead churning, so I'll still get to the 10x magic mark.

I received the Threadleaf Java Fern and NL Java Fern today, as well as a nice Anubias nana. I tied down the Anubias and glued the ferns. The tanks looks much better. It looks more established and has added height. I'll do another water change on Sunday and post pics on Sunday night or Monday morning. I'll start doing two water changes a week to reduce nasty organics, as most of the plants are new and there will be some decay. After the filter is installed, the tank will be on cruise control and the tank rebuild will be complete (finally!). To avoid boredom, I'll be adding some more fish eventually.

Agreed on the "shade it"

Sounds grand! Definitely finding good flow helps. Any thoughts on the fish?

I know I'll be adding some more Harlequin Rasboras and Cherry Barbs. If I can find them, I'll add a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides. I'm going to be trying out a new fish store soon, so we'll see. If not, I'll get a pair of Honey Dwarf Gourami or Chocolate Gourami. I may add a small group of Corydoras (6), but that's still up in the air.

In my case, the micro bubbles have become a pain. Plus, getting that clear CO2 lining out of the tank will be nice. It is a $57 investment (total) if you ever want to buy online from NilocG. Not that bad of a price for someone to build it for you.

It is a Rex Griggs CO2 reactor. I am tired of the micro bubbles. It impedes the view at times. Concerning the flow, you are correct! It is vitally important in high light, high tech tanks (as you and Fresh know). In low tech, not as much, but it does have importance in all planted tanks that use pressurized CO2 and fertilization methods. I'll still have the nano powerhead churning, so I'll still get to the 10x magic mark.

I received the Threadleaf Java Fern and NL Java Fern today, as well as a nice Anubias nana. I tied down the Anubias and glued the ferns. The tanks looks much better. It looks more established and has added height. I'll do another water change on Sunday and post pics on Sunday night or Monday morning. I'll start doing two water changes a week to reduce nasty organics, as most of the plants are new and there will be some decay. After the filter is installed, the tank will be on cruise control and the tank rebuild will be complete (finally!). To avoid boredom, I'll be adding some more fish eventually.

Interested to know how the Griggs goes so keep me posted [emoji106] I use cerges so I'd love to know what the Griggs is like. Is it full of bio balls? I went with cerges because I was worried the Griggs would get dirty and clog.

Interested to know how the Griggs goes so keep me posted [emoji106] I use cerges so I'd love to know what the Griggs is like. Is it full of bio balls? I went with cerges because I was worried the Griggs would get dirty and clog.

No bio balls. I was concerned about the same thing and I didn't want to impede flow. Since I won't be using a ton of CO2 in the first place, I didn't think it'd be worth the hassle.

No bio balls. I was concerned about the same thing and I didn't want to impede flow. Since I won't be using a ton of CO2 in the first place, I didn't think it'd be worth the hassle.

Ah good stuff! What size is the piping etc if u don't mind me asking? I need a reactor for the Ada build as I hate the Inline diffusers but I'm lacking in room. Most of the Griggs is see are massive but yours looks more slim line?

Ah good stuff! What size is the piping etc if u don't mind me asking? I need a reactor for the Ada build as I hate the Inline diffusers but I'm lacking in room. Most of the Griggs is see are massive but yours looks more slim line?

I know that the fitting size is 1/2" for the Eheim tubing. It is a 20" tall reactor. I'm not sure on other specifications though as I bought it. This reactor isn't supposed to reduce filter flow any, so I'm guessing that there are no huge changes in diameter throughout the reactor.

I know that the fitting size is 1/2" for the Eheim tubing. It is a 20" tall reactor. I'm not sure on other specifications though as I bought it. This reactor isn't supposed to reduce filter flow any, so I'm guessing that there are no huge changes in diameter throughout the reactor.

Ah good stuff! I just went out and brought all the gear to make one lol only to realise when I set up the canister for the tank I've cut the hoses too short on the outlet to use it so I'll have to put it on the intake side lol. I don't think it will matter too much hopefully lol

Ah good stuff! I just went out and brought all the gear to make one lol only to realise when I set up the canister for the tank I've cut the hoses too short on the outlet to use it so I'll have to put it on the intake side lol. I don't think it will matter too much hopefully lol

The only thing I'd worry about is the reduction of oxygen for the beneficial bacteria in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom