Fishes die #243243124532543

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as far as the live rock, get some smaller size pieces and be sure to keep them either wet or at least moist. That way there will be no die off and you should be able to add a few at a time into the AQ. You need ~1-1.5 lbs per gallon of tank water. Let that go until your readings are stable 0,0,0 and not more then 20 on the nitrates. That with fresh LR should take no more then two weeks. Give that a shot before adding any more fish.
TC

im still wondering why the fish are dyeing. the water isnt bad and even if i dont let them get used to the new water with time, why it takes 12-24 hours until they die? shouldnt they die faster? it just looks weird to me that they get all dark..

no thats about average for a fish death.. you have to understand the shock it is for them to be thrown from one environment to the other in such a quick ammount of time.

dark is usually a sign of stress.. any loss of color really

well losing color yes. like in the bag after catching them. but here it looks like first they are totally fine and after 12-24 hours they seem not to be able to breath anymore and turn really dark and either go to the top of the water or to the bottom and get more and more weak ntil they finally die. can that really be the shock from hours before? i would be happy if so but it just seems like to me its something else but the water is fine like that how it is. at least no reason to die..

I'd say the mantis may be the culprit, if not now in the very near future.
How are you acclimating your fish?

cant be. im watching them and the mantis was the last animal i got in. the fishes died before i had him. why should the fishes have problems breathing and getting all dark because of a mantis? he dont attack anybody, in fact he really respect the snowflake and dont get close to him and just watch him from distance. i just would like to have fishes back. next time i will acclimate them very slowly and mix the water step by step for 2-3 hours. i may have made it way too fast. still dont know why the old fishes dies which was in there before then but i will try it soon. water is always staying the same quality

I apologize if I missed it. Are you topping off with RO? I would not trust a hydrometer to give you an accurate reading and suspect your SG may be considerably higher than you think.

sorry i dont know all the shortcuts you guys use. whats RO and SG? im pretty sure the hydrometer works exact. right now its on 1.024 from the mix of the ocean water and the drinking water i mixed a few days ago. i didnt changed anything until then. the original ocean water have 1.027. i still have a cube here next to the aquarium.

sorry i dont know all the shortcuts you guys use. whats RO and SG? im pretty sure the hydrometer works exact. right now its on 1.024 from the mix of the ocean water and the drinking water i mixed a few days ago. i didnt changed anything until then. the original ocean water have 1.027. i still have a cube here next to the aquarium.

RO is reverse osmosis, "pure" water. SG is salinity. I've personally seen hydrometers read as much as .06 off + or -. My question was really... do you use pure water to top off any evaporation losses?

ah no. i made a huge waterchange again a few days ago this time with original ocean saltwater and i just added drinking water (im sick of the tab water) to adjust the SG.

From now on im planning to refill with ocean water only and to leave it at 1.027 how i get it for the future.

I was letting you know the mantis could be a problem in the future.
If you were using tap water, were you adding prim or a dechlorinator? I'm not sure if your tap water is well or city water....

thank you. i used a tap water condtioner. but i wont use tap water anymore. i found the first mantis a few weeks ago but a bigger one. impressed how he attacted me when i catched him i started to read EVERYTHING about this creature when i got home from snorkeling. i was planning to get one when i see one again to study it for a while in an extra tank and let him free again. but then i realized that the version i found is less agressive and cant even open shells of snails so i decided to add him to the tank to see what happens and it works great. he is extremely intelligent and is living in peace with his only competition the moray. if one day a fish or two would die it would just be as it is. its natural. but i think i can teach him to eat from the stick. in the worst case i just let him free again.

ah no. i made a huge waterchange again a few days ago this time with original ocean saltwater and i just added drinking water (im sick of the tab water) to adjust the SG.

From now on im planning to refill with ocean water only and to leave it at 1.027 how i get it for the future.
Don't get me wrong....Use the Sea water for water changes for sure, but use Tap or RO water to replace evaporated water from your tank. The water evaporates, not the salt. So If you replace evaported water with Sea Water your tank will get saltier as you add more sea water to refill your tank.
TC

...but here it looks like first they are totally fine and after 12-24 hours they seem not to be able to breath anymore and turn really dark and either go to the top of the water or to the bottom and get more and more weak ntil they finally die. can that really be the shock from hours before? i would be happy if so but it just seems like to me its something else but the water is fine like that how it is. at least no reason to die..

Still don't think the tank ever cycled. But it doesn't seem like you're wanting to consider that possibility. If you never saw ammonia, but did see nitrite (and continue to see it today), then something is wrong with a test kit somewhere. You don't get one without the other. Fish gasping for breath, losing color... sure sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.

with the adding of salt water without removal of salt.. just think of the dead sea... its so salty.. you can almost walk on it lol

Still don't think the tank ever cycled. But it doesn't seem like you're wanting to consider that possibility. If you never saw ammonia, but did see nitrite (and continue to see it today), then something is wrong with a test kit somewhere. You don't get one without the other. Fish gasping for breath, losing color... sure sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.

no i believe that too. its just that i test the water alot, today too again. the ammonia test is almost white/with a little green on the beginning and turns into something between zero and 0.25. now after 4 hours its still the same.

i added a few small fish to the tank and i acclimated them a little more than 2 hours adding small amounts of water of the tank in the bag. until now they look perfectly ok and swim curious around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom