Fishes to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelderC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys!

I recently bought my first aquarium and I am still on my fish less cycling. This forum has been really helpful with all the tips regarding cycling.

I have a 65 L and my objective is to start with 2, 3 small fishes and then after a while when I have more knowledge about this, change to tropical water and get brave with it ahah

My question is, with what type of fish should I start with?

There's plenty of easy fish you can start fish but I would start with a tropical tank.

Google told me this is only 17 gallons so that rules out most coldwater fish aside from minnows.

I'd do something like a school of rasboras or small danios as both are pretty hardy then a school of Pygmy corydora.

So something like this:

6-8 danios(not Giants) or rasboras
5-6 Pygmy Corydoras.

Caleb

Why would you start a tropical tank?

Those fishes that you mentioned are for normal water isn't it?

I just don't wanna mess up with a beautiful tropical fish while I am still learning and starting. It's a lot to know lol

The only difference between tropical and cold water fish tanks is the heater!
If you want tropical fish, get tropical fish.

It's probably easier to maintain a warm temperature than it is to keep it cold enough anyway.

Normal water is what? That's a big unknown! Test your own and find fishes to suit.

Unless you have some way extreme pH there are quite a few tropical fish options as long as you have a heater (y)

Hello guys!

I recently bought my first aquarium and I am still on my fish less cycling. This forum has been really helpful with all the tips regarding cycling.

I have a 65 L and my objective is to start with 2, 3 small fishes and then after a while when I have more knowledge about this, change to tropical water and get brave with it ahah

My question is, with what type of fish should I start with?
Hello, and welcome to the forum and the hobby!
I am not really sure what you mean by changing to tropical water, unless you just mean that you don't have a heater? I would still get a thermometer and check what your temperature is. Also, I would just get a heater. It will open up your options a lot, and they are really not that much more difficult. :)

Don't be put off by the word 'tropical', it's just a temperature which is so easily maintained with a heater/thermostat. Just plug it in and off you go.
Cold water in most homes is far harder to regulate as most homes are kept near tropical temperatures anyway.
There are a lot more interesting tropical fish than cold water fish and better suited to a 65l tank.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Tropical is the easiest to maintain and has waaaaay more variety than 'regular' water does. In regular (cold) water you can only get goldfish, koi, and minnows to my knowledge.

Tropical is the easiest to maintain and has waaaaay more variety than 'regular' water does. In regular (cold) water you can only get goldfish, koi, and minnows to my knowledge.

There is various other natives like darters and sunfish but many need a bigger tank than is available here.

Caleb

Ok guys. Thank you for your advice. I am still learning about all this stuff so bear with me lol.

I do have a heater and a thermometer. So, if I wanna put the heater on, will it interfere with my fishless cycling?

I have been told that heat helps speed up the fish less cycling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure? Set it to the ambient temp and add 1-2 degrees C per day. My temps can fluctuate by two degrees with no adverse effects.

Cycling works best at warmer temperatures, 80-82f, but only if doing a fish less cycle. Ph should be above 6.5 or the bacteria growth will be reduced or even stopped.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Ok, done! My heater is set and increasing 1º degree per day.

I tested my water today at the aquarium shop and I had a reading between 1.0 to 3.0 ppm after a PWC 2 days ago. Any advice? Shall I just keep the cycle run?

Thank u

By the wat, the water test bottles just arrived and I tested the water again. Results as follows:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 2.0 ppm
Nitrates - 20 ppm

Any advice ? I haven't added ammonia so far because in the pet shop they didn't say that would help.

Ok mate, thank you. I bought some ammonia and I've added it, let's see how it goes
Tomorrow I'll check levels again

After adding ammonia up to 4 ppm on the 14th my tests from yesterday:

pH: 8.0
Amm: 2.0 ppm
Nit: 1.0 ppm
Nit: 40 ppm

Will test today and add ammonia if falls below 1

Tests from today:
PH:8.2
Ammo: 2.0 ppm
Nit: 5 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm