Fishes View, Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well ive had a betta with chronic finrot and I think just figured out why. I dont know why it took so long but my 2.5 is like one-way mirror. Everything is a reflection, especially himself which would explain his excessive flaring.

Excessive Flare=Stress=Finrot...I think?

Are all aquariums like this? Should I buy another brand of nano tank? Is it a coating I can take off? Or is it just an optical illusion caused by the water and the levil im viewing it from and hes flaring for another reason?

Help!

if you're in a room with the lights on, and it's dark outside, can you see your reflection? yes. it's not a mirror-quality, but you can still see it. i would imagine that's what the fish see when they look at the glass. there's nothing you can do to get rid of that, and that's probably why he's flaring. however, i doubt that's what's causing your finrot. are you treating it with anything?

well thats what i thought at first, but when i looked fromt he back and down, it was straight up mirror. like in the bathroom.

though you are probably right, could be the angle.

and about the rot, no..besides a little salt. any recommendations?

I was under the impression fin fot is stress related, as in water quality/changes. Though I guess an illness would stress him out aswell. Again recommendations?

It all started when I was out for the night with the ole lady and didnt come back till morning, I was shocked. HIs fins has receded so rapidly, it looked like thing bit half his tail off.

The reflection wouldn't directly be the cause of the fin rot. The possibility is that the undue stress of having the always present "competition" tires the betta out and makes him more susceptible to disease.

On the other hand, there are some bettas that practice self-mutilation, i.e., biting off their tails. It might be the cause, given the rapid deterioration.

Stress in fish does weaken the immune system and cause disease. Finrot can result from constant stress. I once (but never again) held a mirror up to a betta to make him flare for a picture. He flared so much, and swam so rapidly in his agitated state that he tore his fins in a matter of 5 minutes or less. I also had a betta that was very prone to finrot. One minute I looked over and he was fine. The next minute, half his tail was gone.

I have heard of bettas that bite their tails, but usually in the context of a very small shipping container.

I would check water parameters - although I have seen a betta's tail rot within minutes, I wonder if your parameters are ok. Smaller tanks like your 2.5 gallon can be harder to keep stable. How often are you doing water changes and how much water at a time?

If the tank is causing a reflection somehow, can you try moving it a little? Maybe if the room light hits it differently, the reflection may not be as intense.

Water parameters very good I have the AP liquid and do water changes whenever Nitrate reacher over 15-20. That breaks down to about once, maybe twice a week at 35% I suppose. I must admit I did use him to cycle, perhaps that is the reason to his sensitive nature?

Last night my co2 bottomed out and caused a rise in Ph (the hose got twisted somehow and wasnt diffusing) and he's all raggidy again. I guess he is just a sensitive guy.

Oh well, I like the challenge a hightech nano brings forth. I guess this just adds to the excitement :D

Back
Top Bottom