Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishkeeping Myths

Good morning round...

Interesting article. I just skimmed the part about the use of salt in aquariums. The author makes some good points.

I keep Livebearers, specifically Fancy Guppies and have used standard aquarium salt periodically for years and never had a disease in my tanks. It's been my experience that a little aquarium salt maintains healthy water conditions and boosts fishes' immune systems. Even the salt sensative fish like my Corydoras benefit from a little salt.

Thanks for the information.

B

Funny reading some of his UK slang, but he's wrong about shrimp IMO/E. First off he lumps them all together and as for cleaning, my AES out clean my mystery snails 10 to 1 across the board. The salt, stunting and catfish myths are good points, even in his oddball way of writing.

If fish only grow to the size of the tank..someone please tell my 3 tinfoil barbs not to get any bigger...they range from about 6-8 inches now...
The pet store never bothered to mention that...they were only about an inch and a half when i brought them home..:fish1:

I also have four tinfoils in a 4foot tank, yes I bought them without doing my homework, there still small about 3 inches . They all swim well together & there fins are showing a hint of red, even my 3 tigers swim along with them . if they go big I don't know what il do with them as Im fond of them. Suppose il cross that bridge when it comes.

My personal fave is the "1 inch of fish per gallon" rule..... oh Lordie..... I'd love to spend 5 minutes with the guy who came up with that one..... :banghead:

I have kept fancy guppies for years with no salt and no disease. I don't know how someone can determine that salt boosts immune systems, but I do know based on my experience and many others (including the late Dr. Joanne Norton), that salt is not necessary, and probably detrimental in the long term, to fish that have evolved to maintain their water balance in fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom