Fishless cycle advice- am I on right track? Had a nightmare to begin with!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbeginner66

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

To give a bit of background to my situation, basically I very naively went and bought a goldfish (1 small fantail) and a tank, to then discover the tank I had been sold was ridiculously too small for a goldfish. I then purchased a bigger tank (63L) with an inbuilt Bioflow filter and thought everything would now be hunky dory. What no one in the industry decided to tell me (and I spoke to quite a few people over the course of a couple of weeks) was the need to cycle my tank, and after my fish had been in it for a few hours, there was a massive bacterial bloom and he almost died from suffocation. Luckily, he survived and is now in his old tank while I try and sort the new one out!! I now feel places selling fish need to give people far more information, had I gone into the room 30 seconds later I'd have had a dead goldfish. From researching myself, I now understand the process behind fishless cycling and just wanted to check I am doing everything right...

After my fish almost died, I did a complete water change before beginning the cycle and the bacterial bloom happened again (before I added any ammonia, all I'd added was some gravel from his previous tank). I am on day 5 now and my ammonia readings are between 4 and 5ppm (dark green) and I am yet to have any nitrites, I am assuming this is normal as it's only day 5. My main question is will the bloom clear by itself once the cycle has properly kicked in?

Thank you to anyone who has read all of this!!

Fishbeginner66 :)

:welcome: to the forum! You will learn lots here!

The bacteria bloom should clear pretty soon. Mine cleared in a day, some take as long a week. But it will clear.

Yeah it's been there since I changed the water which is quite a while! Really hoping it clears OK and my fishless cycling isn't wasted :/

Brilliant thank you :) Is it normal for it to bloom though before I'd even added any ammonia? Like I said, all I added was gravel and it clouded up!

I believe they can. The bacteria blooms we see aren't the bacteria we need in the tank to cycle it. Bacteria blooms are caused by heterotrophic bacteria that are different than the ones we need. Regardless it should clear up on its own.

Also sorry to say that 16 gals is a bit tight for a fancy, but do-able in the short-term. 20 gals is usually the preferred minimum but as an adult it will need a 55+ gal tank.

What tank is the fish in now though? If the fish is in a smaller uncycled tank it's prospects are actually worse than it being in the larger uncycled tank. Large volumes of water are better for dissipating toxins. Does the smaller tank have a filter that has been running with the fish in it? If so i think your best bet is to move the fish to the 16 gal (do a full water change to remove any ammonia) with the filter it has now and run it with the larger filter for the 16 gal and treat it as a fish-in cycle.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Also here's a guide that was written by one of our members particularly on goldfish care: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html#117514

Last edited:
He is in the smaller one, but where I was clueless the smaller one seems to have cycled now as he's been in it a few weeks. Feel really bad I've put him through that now but I didn't know :( My problem with putting him in the bigger one is the bacterial bloom, as it got pretty severe and the bacteria taking up all the oxygen is what caused him to suffocate (he was literally on the floor of the tank barely alive!) and for me to move him out.

He is in the smaller one, but where I was clueless the smaller one seems to have cycled now as he's been in it a few weeks. Feel really bad I've put him through that now but I didn't know :( My problem with putting him in the bigger one is the bacterial bloom, as it got pretty severe and the bacteria taking up all the oxygen is what caused him to suffocate (he was literally on the floor of the tank barely alive!) and for me to move him out.

Do you have an air stone in your tank? Goldfish have very high oxygen demands.

You can get one at walmart if your walmart has a fish section. Just get a pump, some tubing, and an air stone. The total cost would be about $20-$25. However, tank accessories and fish food are the only thing I recommend getting from the walmart fish section!

You can get one at walmart if your walmart has a fish section. Just get a pump, some tubing, and an air stone. The total cost would be about $20-$25. However, tank accessories and fish food are the only thing I recommend getting from the walmart fish section!

Ah, I live in the UK where we don't have Walmart! But thanks, I will have a search for where I can find one :)

Happy to say my bloom seems to have improved a lot. My question is once the tank is cycled, I have to do a large water change right? My worry is I will get another bloom as this is what happened when I had to change all the water before starting the cycle, or should it be OK as the tank will be cycled?

Glad to hear your bacteria bloom is clearing up! Yes, you are supposed to do a very large or complete water change the day before you get fish. There will be tons of nitrates in the water and you want to get them out. I am almost positive that it will not cause another bloom.

Nope. I have done tons of research about this and the conclusion is that every tank's cycle is different. One person said he had two 20 gallons and cycled them with the same method and started them at the same time. One tank took 1 month to cycle, the other took 2 months. It is very odd. I have started using some bacteria in a bottle and that has definitely been helping, though.

Good luck to you I hope you sort it soon! I have a feeling my ammonia level is nearer to 5ppm than 4, so don't know if I could have too much ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom