Fishless cycle almost complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mloyko

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at fishless cycling and let me tell you I learned what patience is haha. Anyways the tank has been up for about 3 weeks now. I've been adding ammonia up to near 8pm everytime it dropped to around 1ppm.

The past week I would add the ammonia in the morning, when I tested the next day ammonia was at zero and nitrites were through the roof and that is how it was for about a week.

Now today I added ammonia in the morning before work and came home to find it was back at zero (was at 8ppm when i left for work). I tested Nitrite and it started off dark as the drops hit the tube and after shaking but by the end of the 5 min wait period the color indicated really really close to 0 ppm.

My question is can the Nitrite just go from sky high constantly and then just one day be gone like that? Does that mean I pretty much if not cycled?

I'm thinking about continuing to add ammonia for about another week until payday before adding fish regardless

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nitrites can drop rather sharply, but I'm surprised you were able to cycle the tank by dosing that high of an ammonia level. At that level the ammonia is toxic to the bacteria itself, and therefore cannot consume it.

David

I think it is possible for the nitrites to drop like you described. I believe this means you are done cycling. Yeah!

I just finished as well, though I did not dose as high as you did (used 4 ppm ammonia). I think I will continue to dose ammonia but at lower level (2 ppm) to keep the BB happy.

Nitrites can drop rather sharply, but I'm surprised you were able to cycle the tank by dosing that high of an ammonia level. At that level the ammonia is toxic to the bacteria itself, and therefore cannot consume it.

David

Hmm strange then that it seems to have worked because the ammonia is disappearing like crazy. Would you say that I am close to being done since now the Trites are dropping fast too?

Hmm strange then that it seems to have worked because the ammonia is disappearing like crazy. Would you say that I am close to being done since now the Trites are dropping fast too?
Yep, get the cigar ready. When you see nitrates and no nitrites soon after dosing ammonia, light it up (I'm assuming you're of age).

David

Of age to add a little rum with that cigar :p 24 in August. Thanks for the input, that went a lot faster then I was expecting it to go.

Your have a ways to go yet, I am afraid to inform you. Your nitrites are so incredibly high that the test can no longer read the result accurately. If the nitrite drops turn purple before you even shake the tube, theres no need to even wait on the test- they are off the charts high. As they start to drop to readable levels, the tube will turn purple with time- they never work in reverse and go from purple to blue. It's either blue to purple or zero which is aqua blue and stays aqua blue.

Due to hefty ammonia overdosing, I strongly suggest atleast two 90+% wcs with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. it may take multiple huge wcs to bring your nitrite reading under control and down to a readable number (1ppm or less). Once it's a definite 1ppm or less, dose ONLY 1ppm of ammonia and then wait- don't add anymore. The nitrite>nitrate phase is what will test your patience the most so hang in there!!

Well in that case I'll have to do that when the parents aren't home since unfortunately I haven't been able to leave the nest yet and it is their water bill. Good thing Dad goes to sleep early and Mom works late. And I thought I was so close, shucks.

I was adding about a tablespoon of ammonia to the tank as I read online which clearly is too much. How much ammonia would you suggest adding if the tank is 29g? Once it's back under control.

I am reaching the end of cycling on a 30 gal. If your nitrites are dropping off I would cut your doseing to 2ppm for ammonia. My ammonia was 2 teaspoons if 0 ammonia was present. All ammonia is different in strength. I am by no means an expert on cycling and just adding my 2 cents on what I have learned. I have learned a bunch from the experts on here.:)

I was adding about a tablespoon of ammonia to the tank as I read online which clearly is too much. How much ammonia would you suggest adding if the tank is 29g? Once it's back under control.

I think 3-4 ppm is the preferred target. I was using a rate of 2 mL to achieve 1 ppm ammonia in a 20 gallon tank.

You could retest the nitrates with the following:
5 mL tank water
5 mL tap water
2.5 mL tank water + 2.5 mL tap water

Assuming the tap water has no nitrites, then if the nitrites are truly high, the the 50/50 mix might show some color. You could take this further and use 1 mL of tank water + 4 mL of tap water and multiply the results by 5.

It depends on the percent of the ammonia. If you were adding a tbsp, this is 15mls of ammonia. Im going to post a link below for the ammonia calculator- it will tell you the exact dose to reach 1ppm. Once your nitrites are being completely processed to nitrate, you can gradually increase the ammonia dose by ,5ppm until your up to 4ppm. Once your tank can convert 4ppm fully to nitrate in 24hrs, your cycled and can prep your tank for fish. Please ask if you have questions!

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Thanks, I'll probably get those water changes in tomorrow or so, I'll keep this thread posted as I'm sure I'll need some more advice.

Ok so I did the huge water change last night. I tested the water after the change and Nitrites were at 0ppm. Just tested the water this morning expecting them to have been high again but they were still at 0ppm. I used the calculator and dosed the tank to 1ppm.

So my question is: from here I don't add anymore untill it is completely consumed, and even then only dose to 1ppm?

Thanks.

So I posted this roughly 4 hours ago and I'm home from work so I tested water again.

Ammonia dropped to .25ppm and Nitrites are still 0ppm. So obviously less than 24 hours later, should I dose back up to 1ppm?

also I just tested Nitrates....

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm

I'm confused on what to do next. That seems to me like the tank is cycled and I just need to do another water change to drop the trates

also I just tested Nitrates....

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm

I'm confused on what to do next. That seems to me like the tank is cycled and I just need to do another water change to drop the trates

It sounds like you are cycled. Yeah, a 50% WC should bring the nitrates to ~40 ppm and perhaps a 75% WC to 20 ppm I believe.
What is your timeline for stocking? What will you be stocking the tank with?

Back
Top Bottom