Fishless cycle almost complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it sounds like your cycled to 1ppm. After your nitrite issues however, I would be hesitant to start stocking yet. Dose your tank to 2ppm and give it a full 24hrs before retesting. If its all zeroes, increase it to 3ppm. If this zeroes, 4ppm. If all is well at 4ppm, then it's time for big wcs (90+%) to drop your nitrates to your tap level and your tank will be ready to go!

Yes, it sounds like your cycled to 1ppm. After your nitrite issues however, I would be hesitant to start stocking yet. Dose your tank to 2ppm and give it a full 24hrs before retesting. If its all zeroes, increase it to 3ppm. If this zeroes, 4ppm. If all is well at 4ppm, then it's time for big wcs (90+%) to drop your nitrates to your tap level and your tank will be ready to go!

Alright will do, I'm assuming waiting 24 hrs between each succession then?

It sounds like you are cycled. Yeah, a 50% WC should bring the nitrates to ~40 ppm and perhaps a 75% WC to 20 ppm I believe.
What is your timeline for stocking? What will you be stocking the tank with?

I don't really have a timeline for stocking, just whenever it's ready I will begin. I set it up as an African Cichlid tank and was going to start an advice thread on small species and species that stay relatively small as this tank is 29g as previously stated, I do have a home for them if/when they begin to out grow the tank (I am aware 55g should be the minimum but this isn't the permanent home, just a starter tank until they grow a little) I saw some Demasoni at my local petsmart and was going to research them and see.

Of course any and all advice is welcome from anyone viewing this, as I'd rather not do something that I shouldnt.

Here is my setup, I am going to switch the back ground to all black.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 52
Ok so this morning I went ahead and just dosed right to 4ppm. I just got home from work about 8-9 hours later and ammonia is around .25ppm and Nitrites are somewhere between 2 and 5 ppm I can't really match the color (were 0ppm this morning). Not sure what this means lol

Ok so this morning I went ahead and just dosed right to 4ppm. I just got home from work about 8-9 hours later and ammonia is around .25ppm and Nitrites are somewhere between 2 and 5 ppm I can't really match the color (were 0ppm this morning). Not sure what this means lol

I think you should repeat the test in the morning so that you get a 24 hour reading. Hopefully you will get 0/0/20+ or something close to it. At 8-9 hours, most of the ammonia has been converted, however, the ammonia consuming bacteria had a head start compared to the bacteria that processes nitrites. Sounds good so far.

I think you should repeat the test in the morning so that you get a 24 hour reading. Hopefully you will get 0/0/20+ or something close to it. At 8-9 hours, most of the ammonia has been converted, however, the ammonia consuming bacteria had a head start compared to the bacteria that processes nitrites. Sounds good so far.

+1

Wait. Patience. Let nature do her work and test tomorrow. As stated above, you wan to see consistent 0, 0, X.

CMOS

Ok just did the morning test and ammonia is 0ppm Nitrite is 0ppm and Nitrate is 80ppm.

I'm guessing I can do my water change to bring down the trates and I'm good then?

EDIT: Also If I am ready, I can't get fish until the weekend. Should I still add a little ammonia until then so the bacteria doesn't die or should they be ok?

I would so one last dose up to 4ppm just to be safe then do a 75% water change and untill you put fish in there you can dose 1ppm daily to keep the bacteria fed bit don't forget do do another 90% water change before you pit fish in there and do not let your filter get dry it will kill your bb

Back
Top Bottom